1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dear dimwit on the phone

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Starman, Jan 21, 2010.

1. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

Here is a new one: Xzavier.
    Evidently, the parents couldn't agree on Xavier, or Zavier, so they made it both. And it's probably pronounced Hov-EE-air.

Hermes, maumann and Batman like this.
  2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Adventures in Proofreading, Vol. 144,658: In a profile about our local police chief, a woman named Penny, there's a reference to a domestic violence shelter she started.
    She named it Peni's Shelter.
    The reporter made a point to state that it was correct and that he had double-checked it with her.

3. Kolchak

Kolchak Active Member

Have you ever had a reader turn on the TV, come across a rebroadcast of something old and out of season (like an MLB game in February) and complain to the paper that it's not in the TV listings? And not only that, but the sports editor immediately takes the reader's side out of habit and also wants to know why it's not in the listings?

OscarMadison likes this.
  4. Kolchak

Kolchak Active Member

Sports team has a big win. On our website, sports team is the main story all night and the next morning. Since it's a new day, a different story has more reader interest so it becomes the new centerpiece. One reader who didn't see the website all those hours the other story was the centerpiece only sees the new centerpiece, thinks we're biased against the team and not making their win a bigger deal, then procedes to trash the team that is new centerpiece.

OscarMadison and HanSenSE like this.
  5. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

If only there was a way a news facility could print out the front page of the website each day, package it up with ads and have the specific date for those stories on it... Hmmm...

6. Nathan Foutnier

Nathan Foutnier New Member

I sent an email to an AD last night asking him to inform me if a game I planned on covering is still on because of the incoming weather. I addressed the email by his first name, as I did a few weeks ago in a similar email. He (a new AD in his mid-20s) responded to me this morning: "I don't think I can keep doing this if you keep calling me by my first name; it's Mr. So and So." When I emailed him a few weeks ago, he didn't say please call me Mr. So and So - he ended his email with his first name. He hasn't let me know if the game is still on, but it's currently a downpour right now so I think I have my answer.

I addressed him by his first name because he's a distant cousin of mine and went to school with his older brothers.

7. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Wow! Someone has a power trip! LOL

SFIND, OscarMadison and HanSenSE like this.
  8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I would point out that he signed his e-mail with his first name. I would also emphatically point out that you’re not one of his teenage students.

SFIND, OscarMadison and BurnsWhenIPee like this.
  9. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Fuck him all the way, and go in dry.

10. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

"Dear Jack: This is not a class system, and I am not one of your students. We are peers in the community, working toward a common cause: to get news of your athletes and your athletic programs online and in the paper. Also, there is no need to address me as a Mr., either, but please respect your elders. Always respect your elders. ... Anyway, see you on the field, Jack."

11. Dog8Cats

Dog8Cats Well-Known Member

I wouldn't give two shits if he DID use "Mr." in his email signature, or "King of the Realm," for that matter. You and he are equals, despite how much fist-pounding this guy wants to do about it. It's Hey, Firstname." And forget the distant cousin; he could be another life form or from another planet, and it'd still be "Firstname."

If I were you, I'd obliquely make a huge deal about his request to be addressed as "Mr." I'd sidle up to him the next time I saw him and tell him what a cool joke you thought it was that he wanted to be known as "Mr." And I'd bring it up about ...oh, every god damned time I saw this guy.

Some people ...

SFIND likes this.
  12. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

I mentioned in the stringer thread a little bit of my situation. Was passed over for SE gig, but still affiliated with paper as I do layout through the office for two other papers in the chain. New SE and FT are frankly doing a bang-up job. But I digress.

Since I've been in the sports community and at the shop for 8 years, I get all the complaints from local college SID. Not just on his school, but all sports coverage in the paper. Names butchered, city and school names wrong, etc. It's almost a daily occurrence. Oh joy....

Draft saved Draft deleted