1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AJC ending weekday print editions

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by matt_garth, Sep 2, 2022.

1. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

Hearing that Gannett is ramping up the targeting of smaller, underperforming properties for closure.
    Of course, the fact they are underperforming is in large part to Gannett gutting those staffs to 2 or fewer people.

2. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I forgot I was posting on the AJC thread and not the Gannett thread which is why I digressed into a comment on Gannett's viability. So I apologize for threadjacking.

But in response to your observation Gannett appears to have eliminated 800 positions. Assuming the loaded salary cost of the positions was 65K that saves about 52 million dollars annually. Gannett lost over 50 million in the second quarter alone.

So the company needs to come up with three times the cuts already made to move to cover that hole. If revenues continue to drop at the rate of about 50 million dollars a quarter the hole gets bigger. So unless the revenue stabilizes Gannett is going to have to do something far more dramatic than they already have or declare Chapter 11.

3. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

What is the 'coach' to writer ratio?

4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Is Little Rock still doing the subscribe-and-you-get-a-tablet-to-read-the-virtual-edition thing? How many readers stuck around? They were investing a lot of time and cash in it.

Liut likes this.
  5. matt_garth

matt_garth Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted