1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

For $40.....

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by daytonadan1983, Aug 21, 2022.

1. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

My primary gig is at a daily paper. This other publication is only weekly and only sports. Sure there is crossover in teams, but I don’t think our paper will ever lose subscribers because of this startup. And frankly, I don’t think my job as a page designer should be in jeopardy for writing somewhere else.

2. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

End well, this will not.
    Unless you want to be fired, I guess.

3. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Seriously? Not trying to be disrespectful, but how long have you been in the business?

This seems to be a pretty base level expectation, that you don't do work for the competition. If you do ask permission, seriously do not be surprised if things don't work out for you at all, like you don't have any job anymore.

Losing subscribers probably isn't as big of an issue as losing advertisers to this startup.

dixiehack and sgreenwell like this.
  4. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

10 years ago it would a billion percent be a no no.

Today? I’ve seen a lot of shit slide that would’ve been a cardinal sin back when. So who knows. These guys are right, tho, letter of the law or as they teach in J-school there’s no way

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  5. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

Frankly, you're dead wrong ... years ago, at one of my previous newspaper stops, I worked with a part-timer on weekends (she was formerly full time who wanted to focus on her family) doing layout and copy editing ... well, one day we found out that she was also doing feature stories (without a byline) for a regional publication put out by our biggest competitor ... she was fired that same day ...

In other words -- pick one (and it better be your current, full-time job) ...

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

It will be. Run far from this opportunity.

7. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

It's amazing how many writers there are, and also how few writers there are.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

And how few editors there are.

PaperDoll and BurnsWhenIPee like this.
  9. Dog8Cats

Dog8Cats Well-Known Member

Circling back to my original comment ... OF COURSE you need to get an OK from your current shop to do this side hustle.

This goes without saying, but if you run it by your bosses and they try to twist it into, "Well, if you're going be doing that stuff anyway for them, can you tweak it a bit for our readership so we can use it?" ... that's a non-starter (unless they're going to pay you beyond your current salary).

10. BurnsWhenIPee

Whatever you end up doing and how it turns out, MN, please come back and let us know.

I'm genuinely curious.

11. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

Was told by my publisher that he and the managing editor “don’t see a problem with me pursuing this opportunity” as long as it “doesn’t conflict with work here.”

12. BurnsWhenIPee

Wow. Surprised, but good for you.

sgreenwell likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted