1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AJC ending weekday print editions

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by matt_garth, Sep 2, 2022.

1. wheels89

wheels89 Active Member

I wonder where Frederick is to chime in on this.

Fredrick and BurnsWhenIPee like this.
  2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Some of the first reading I did was when Dad would spread out the Atlanta Constitution sports section on the breakfast table and I'd read headlines.

maumann likes this.
  3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

But I still enjoyed the heck out of reading the Sunday DP while on vacation in the Snowies last month.

I know digital is here and is the future. But to an old geezer like me, there's nothing better than sitting down and spending an hour or so with a Sunday paper. No way do I read the stuff I read in paper form those two Sundays in an online format.

SixToe, I Should Coco and MileHigh like this.
  4. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

This is where my Dad is. He has digital subs to all his papers and will read them there when the print copies are late or don't arrive. But he reads the papers from front to back. Basically impossible to do that online.

5. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

I used to buy the Sunday NYT, WaPo and AJC, sit in my recliner and read all day. It was an enjoyable experience.

dixiehack likes this.
  6. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

It appears nothing came of this.

7. BartonK

BartonK Active Member

Think they were testing the waters to see what reaction they'd get?

8. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Not yet. But the AJC has less than 46,000 in daily circulation and I am sure it is dropping fast. It is inevitable.

Print can not target an ad to a consumer like a digital ad. Newspapers have to offer the same ad to all the readers )with the exception of zones). Fifteen years ago papers could overcome because they would have a 30-35% penetration rate in a market and no other media outlet could match that. But teh AJC has a two per cent reach with its Monday-Saturday product.

9. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

I worked there once, but I am certain I have never personally paid to read the Star-Ledger.

But I do remember being eight years old, running with a dime in my hand, to the candy store to pick up a paper for my old man. Then he'd sit me on his lap in the Skylark and let me steer home.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2022
    dixiehack and maumann like this.
  10. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

Where is the best place to find newspaper circulation figures?

11. LanceyHoward

12. LanceyHoward

Gannett has a chart of the circulation of their 15 or so largest papers in the 2021 annual report on page 19. I would not be surprised if Lee had something similar in their annual report but I have not checked.

FWIW, Lee is no where near the basket case that Gannett is financially and operationally. Which is not to say that all is well at Lee. It is that bad at Gannett.

If Gannett does not stabilize their circulation revenue immediately they will stop generating enough they will stop generating enough cash to pay the interest on their debt. If revenue continues to decline six percent a year or so the company will be unable to fill that hole through cost costs.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2022
Draft saved Draft deleted