1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

12-team College Football Playoff

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Splendid Splinter, Sep 2, 2022.

1. Splendid Splinter

Splendid Splinter Well-Known Member

2. Noholesin1

Noholesin1 Active Member

When we have a season with 12 teams that have a legitimate argument that they’re the best team in the country, I’ll watch. Until then, I’ll ignore the charade.

3. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

4. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

So where are the other four SEC schools supposed to go? [/sarcasm]

5. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Is this like "I'll watch March Madness when there are 68 teams with a legitimate argument that they are the best team in the country"?

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It would be funny if the Pac-12 gets an auto invite. Might be reason enough for the rest of the teams to stay put.
    Hope it goes something like this:
    Top 4 byes. Next 4 host bottom 4 on campus second week of december. Two weeks off for Christmas. Final 8 games around Jan. 1. Think Big Four Bowl games.Championship game the Thursday before Wildcard weekend.

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Last year there were two teams that clearly were a cut above everyone else. We had the typical anger and complaints over the teams that were "robbed" by not making the top 4... and then those two teams cruised to the championship.

As happens virtually every year.

12 team playoff is fine. Just please don't pretend this opens the field or creates a more "real" championship or that teams that don't make the field are being robbed of a chance.

This change means we'll get to watch Alabama hang 50 on Coastal Carolina on their way to the title game. I'll watch, so that's cool with me, but that's all this is.

8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I'm a fan of a G5 team. If they went undefeated they would still not be allowed into the playoff.

This change means that they very likely would. They'd get both recognition and playoff participation cash. It is unlikely in the extreme that they'd ever win an NC, agreed - but it beats starting the season knowing that even if you beat every team on your schedule by 60 points you'd never even get the chance.

Bottom line is that if a team is not ranked in the preseason poll it is all but impossible to reach the four team playoff, and even then it's a huge lift for a team that is not in the top half of a P5 league.

I would add that while there are a lot of teams in the basketball tournament that have no real legitimate chance to reach the final, there are still many hard fought and entertaining games along the way.

9. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

Even if a little, it gives access to all at the highest level of college football. That has never been the case. Ever.

There will still be biases in the rankings, but at least one G5 will always make it. In theory more than one could if another conference has a down year, but then biases. At least it's something.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Last year, conference championship games were on Dec. 4. On Dec. 5 you announce

Byes: 1. Alabama. 2. Michigan. 3. Georgia. 4. Cincinnati.

Games on Saturday, Dec. 18
    12. Pittsburgh at 5. Notre Dame
    11. Utah at 6. Ohio State
    10. Michigan State at 7. Baylor
    9. Oklahoma State at 8. Mississippi

Keep your New Year's Six bowls and rotate the quarterfinals and semifinals among them.

Friday, Dec. 31, quarterfinal
    Sugar: Oklahoma State-Mississippi vs. Alabama, 4 p.m. EST

Saturday, Jan. 1, quarterfinals
    Peach: Utah-Ohio State vs. Georgia, 1 p.m. EST
    Rose: Michigan State-Baylor vs. Michigan, 5 p.m. EST
    Fiesta: Pittsburgh-Notre Dame vs. Cincinnati, 8:30 p.m. EST

Saturday, Jan. 8, semifinals
    Cotton: Sugar vs. Fiesta winners, 4 p.m. EST
    Orange: Peach vs. Rose winners, 8 p.m. EST

Monday, Jan. 17
    National championship, 8 p.m. EST

Couple of going against the NFL things there. NFL has added Saturday games in Week 18 (weekend of semifinals). Wild card weekend now includes a Monday game (night of title game) since playoffs were expanded.

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

So, some changes to what I had above. It's the six highest conference champions, then the next six at-large teams. The four highest conference champions get byes.

So it would look like:

Byes: 1. Alabama. 2. Michigan. 3. Cincinnati. 4. Baylor.

Games on Saturday, Dec. 18
    12. Pittsburgh at 5. Georgia
    11. Utah at 6. Notre Dame
    10. Michigan State at 7. Ohio State
    9. Oklahoma State at 8. Mississippi

Keep your New Year's Six bowls and rotate the quarterfinals and semifinals among them.

Friday, Dec. 31, quarterfinal
    Sugar: Oklahoma State-Mississippi vs. Alabama, 4 p.m. EST

Saturday, Jan. 1, quarterfinals
    Peach: Utah-Notre Dame vs. Cincinnati, 1 p.m. EST
    Rose: Michigan State-Ohio State vs. Michigan, 5 p.m. EST
    Fiesta: Pittsburgh-Georgia vs. Baylor, 8:30 p.m. EST

Saturday, Jan. 8, semifinals
    Cotton: Sugar vs. Fiesta winners, 4 p.m. EST
    Orange: Peach vs. Rose winners, 8 p.m. EST

Monday, Jan. 17
    National championship, 8 p.m. EST

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

2026? The talk this week was two years sooner. Have the commissioners who aren’t on Boardwalk or Park Place learned nothing?

Draft saved Draft deleted