1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mike Reed Sets Goals for New Gannett

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Readallover, Jan 19, 2021.

1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I would not want to take a 10 percent salary cut, especially if I were living on poverty level wages, but that sounds relatively tame compared to the predicted armadeggon.

2. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

3. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Though I doubt those stock options are much of a "gift" - honestly if you are a CEO and your stock tanks, do you get to write it off? The real thief was Dubow.

Dubow's annual compensation at Gannett was approximately $4.5 million.[4] He retired on October 6, 2011, for health reasons.[5] He left with a golden parachute and could receive retirement and disability benefits valued at $37 million.[6] The amount of his retirement and disability payout has been criticized as excessive in light of the facts that under Debow's five-year tenure as CEO, Gannett's share price fell to $10 per share from over $70, and the number of employees was reduced from 52,000 to 32,000.[7]

Hard to believe one person could oversee that much damage in just five years.

5. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

Not if you believe that person doesn't give a shit about the product, only that he gets his before he gets out

Baron Scicluna and BurnsWhenIPee like this.
  6. ChadFelter

ChadFelter Active Member

Readallover likes this.
  7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Gannett is a make-the-nut business. It could be print, digital, selling weed — anything to make it appear things are trending in the correct direction so they can get more money from the bank.

8. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

When you look at chains like Gannett you see papers that are geographically isolated from other newspapers in the chain. For example, Gannett owns Fort Collins and Pueblo while Alden owns basically everything else in Colorado (except Colorado Springs which is owned by a billionaire as a vanity project). In Montana Gannett owns Great Falls when Lee basically owns the rest of the state.

I would think papers like Fort Collins and Great Falls would be worth more to a publisher as part of a regional cluster than a stand alone. Using that logic I would expect Gannett to concentrate there resources on their regional clusters in locations like Tennessee and several Midwestern states and sell off their orphans.

9. Readallover

Readallover Active Member

10. Woody Long

Woody Long Well-Known Member

wicked and Fdufta like this.
  11. Fdufta

Fdufta Member

Truer words have never been spoken.

maumann and Woody Long like this.
  12. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Woody Long likes this.