1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The World Games

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Neutral Corner, Jul 9, 2022.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Probably there's both some city and state money in it. There are also a slew of corporate sponsors, starting with Microsoft as the big name. Estimates are that it brings $250m in economic impact. B'ham has some pretty hefty lodging taxes that are bringing in a lot of cash.

There was a good bit of press about the money laid out to get the USFL. In contrast, not much criticism of TWG funding. I don't think the local bite was too bad, and the money being pumped into the city is big and immediate. Add that Birmingham does not get many chances to shine on an international stage, and thus far the games have been very well organized and supported.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2022
    lakefront and playthrough like this.
  2. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

You could say that about 35 percent of the shit we debate here. If we can have a USFL thread this is certainly in play. And considering the World Pool and Billiard Association is trying to use this as a gateway drug to the Olympics, count me as one who cares.

Donny in his element likes this.
  3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The USFL thread doubled as a Birmingham Chamber of Commerce ad.

4. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

This is a perfect event for ESPN to roll out the "Ocho" ... but only if they get Cotton McKnight and Pepper Brooks doing commentary ... :D

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

6. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

Damn. I thought this was about the game for the Commodore 64, because I was about to tell you all about my famous cliff diving result in 1987.

upload_2022-7-11_0-1-19.png

dixiehack and Inky_Wretch like this.
  7. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

Just found out this past week that the guys on The Office were not saying 'hard core'.

8. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

In fairness to you, they did mix in the occasional "hard core parkour!"

lakefront likes this.
  9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I loved that game. Caber tossing!

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

If the World Games had Flonkerton, I might have broken down and bought tickets.

Big Circus, lakefront and Justin_Rice like this.
  11. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Saw this every week on "Hawaii 5-0" when the bad guy in the high-rise apartment is trying to get away from law enforcement. I didn't know it had a name.

dixiehack and micropolitan guy like this.
  12. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

I get my fill of oddball 'sports' on ESPN. Corn hole, competitive tag, slamball, and some weird combination between ping pong and soccer.

Draft saved Draft deleted