1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The NYT and The Athletic

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Jun 17, 2022.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Sometimes people really care about something and are willing to act regardless of the action's impact on their careers. Once upon a time, this was called courage of one's convictions.

2muchcoffeeman and PaperClip529 like this.
  2. Equalizer

Equalizer Member

But would you say that if their political beliefs were different than yours?

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Sure. I only object to when people take a stand and then say criticism is persecution.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  4. Equalizer

Equalizer Member

Agreed.

5. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

Honestly I’ll give them a pass. It’s pretty fucked up they overturned Roe v Wade. Tweet your outrage to your hearts content about this one, it’s warranted, but spare me all your other dumb tweets about your gender journey or whatever

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Unless you're the Kraken chick.

Sports Barf likes this.
  7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I guess I'm not sure why any journalist feels entitled to a public social media platform from which to express their opinion.

And further doesn't understand why that expression would call their professional disinterest into question.

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

To the latter, some (not me) would argue that disinterest is a myth, everything is political, and there is no neutral. Fundamentalism.

Azrael likes this.
  9. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

Back when media was more lucrative and more competitive, people strived to be viewed as unbiased. Funny how that worked.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Agreed, and understood. But those (mostly younger) folks are wrong.

Objectivity is a myth.

Disinterest is not.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2022
    PaperDoll likes this.
  11. wheels89

wheels89 Active Member

Even though the Rovell and Front Office Stories came out about The Athletic losing money, I heard this from a friend of mine over the weekend:
    Two Athletic writers were covering a baseball game over the weekend. Supposedly all 62 pro hoops writers are headed to the Vegas Summer League, primarily just to meet one another. The hotel rooms alone cost $266,000. They just laughed about the free ride they continue to take on expense accounts.

12. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

That can't be sustainable, can it?

Draft saved Draft deleted