1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The NYT and The Athletic

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Jun 17, 2022.

1. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

I am an editor for an organization where space is not an issue. The only time we don't post something is when a story has a fatal flaw that cannot be corrected, which is less than 1% of the time.

2. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Listen, Old Crank, I read your post 6 times then sat on it for half a day before responding. Then I read it twice more.
    Thus, please explain what your second sentence means: "I think it's more that the editors for whatever reason are choosing not to publish enough." Now you tell us the editors aren't holding back stories. Which is it?
    The rest of your posts says in so many words that the underlying philosophy of EVERYBODY from the owners, to the supervisors, to the editors, to the writers is to sell subscriptions. That's why your post is convoluted. If there is any misunderstanding, it comes from your end.

3. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

What planet am I on right now

PaperClip529 likes this.
  4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Outstanding.

5. Old Crank

Old Crank Active Member

I get it now. Small Potatoes and Chris Long are the same person.

6. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

That's your lowest shot ever. And, no, I guess you don't get it.

7. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

As long as it's one where we can still get 2,000 words on hot dogs in hockey press boxes, all will be well.

Sports Barf likes this.
  8. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

Some interesting Tweets today from Athletic staffers in reference to the Supreme Court overturning Roe v. Wade--some veiled, some not so veiled. I feel like I saw this mentioned here (didn't see it on this thread), so my apologies if I'm repeating someone else's idea, but I wonder if this is the Times' plan to Deadspin the place. Get rid of the expensive founding talent b/c it wouldn't stick to sports, replace everyone with meh facsimiles who don't get the spirit of the place (such as it is) and who don't stick to sports but do so at a much lower salary.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

No. Times sent same instructions to its own staff. Women should know their place. And that place is well below the men of the Sulzberger family and their male-dominated (and how!) hierarchy.

10. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

11. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

Good thing they've got Stenographer Maggie there to keep the credibility intact! [/sarcasm font]

12. Equalizer

Equalizer Member

I would like to think the Times folks are smarter than that.
    That said, it did seem like yesterday it felt like some Athletic staffers were subtly and not-so-subtly challenging the edict. Given the state of sports media these days, and the state of the economy, this probably isn't the best time to f--- around and find out. Being a political oracle on social media, left-wing or right-wing, gets you clicked red hearts on Twitter and draws the admiration of your peers. Then 24-48 hours after your dismissal the outrage over your ouster fades and you still have bills to pay. And there may not be a landing spot somewhere else.

playthrough and Dog8Cats like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted