1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tension at The Washington Post

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Jun 28, 2020.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Just trying to expand my range.

Songbird likes this.
  2. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

You could have told me this in 2008, Write!!!!

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

If her editors couldn’t be bothered with calling her before she was fired, that’s a slap in the face.

Then again she couldn’t be bothered with reaching out to her co-workers and superiors before and while going on a tantrum, so perhaps it’s deserved.

Liut likes this.
  4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Also known as the Jesus Christ Award.

I Should Coco and HanSenSE like this.
  5. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Given how she publicly torched the newsroom and everyone around her on her crazed Twitter spree, she deserved the most impersonal of firings. And imagine the scene she might have caused if they did it in the office.

At this point she was a pipe bomb. Dismantle it from afar.

6. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

No reason why it wouldn't. In most cases, email has the same evidentiary value as written agreements, which typically means judges and juries like it more than verbal agreements. It sounds like she was going to go Scorched Earth upon termination, so it's not like The Post significantly lowers their liability because they bring her in fire her, since I doubt she would sign the termination documents anyway. If anything, email is the best and most precise way to eliminate the job, because then you have a timestamp document with the exact end date, instead of waiting for them to post more things on social media whilst technically an employee.

Slacker and BurnsWhenIPee like this.
  7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Doesn't the Post have a nearby saloon where reporters and editors go to bitch about colleagues who aren't there? Didn't anybody tell Sonmez about it? She might still have a job if they did. Then again, she doesn't seem like the kind of person I'D tell about a saloon I liked.

8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Regarding the email firing...

I don't know what their work situation is these days, but I had a co-worker who was fired by phone. She started waging a social media jihad because it was so awful to fire her by phone. Thing was... she was working remotely and hadn't set foot in the newsroom for months.

If I'm getting fired, I don't need to drive 40 miles in to the office to get fired. Just call me, thanks.

9. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

I can't tell if this reassures me about our current state of affairs or not, but this has crossed my mind a lot the last few years. I'm about 10 years older than you and I can't tell if I was just sheltered or if I came of age in a seemingly simpler time (probably a combination thereof), but I've tried reminding myself none of this is new, for better or worse. Hopefully emerging from it previously is a good sign. We'll see?

gingerbread and sgreenwell like this.
  10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Some of my favorite nights in the business involved post-shift drinks at a dive or on someone’s deck, accompanied by an occasional game of darts.

dixiehack, gingerbread and ChrisLong like this.
  11. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

I'm sure it's standard protocol but WaPo pointing out in the email that she was banned from stepping back into the building seemed like a twist of the knife. Also, she hasn't tweeted since before she was canned.

Liut likes this.
  12. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

The whole thing is giving me vibes of “You’re not wrong, you’re just an asshole.” It should have ended with Weigel being suspended.

What Weigel retweeted was stupid. The need to continue calling it out smacks of chirping at an umpire three innings after a bad strike call. You might be right in your contention, but you still risk getting ejected. And you know you risk getting ejected, because you know arguing balls and strikes is a no-no and you’ve been told that since you were playing Little League.

Draft saved Draft deleted