1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tension at The Washington Post

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Jun 28, 2020.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

But activism

Azrael and doctorquant like this.
  2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I don't disagree with you. But you and I were raised to believe - and believe in - a pretty specific definition of that word.

Younger workers are struggling to find their own updated standards of 'professionalism.' In your field and mine.

Which leads some of them to question the legacy standards of the institutions employing them.

I don't know that they're right, but their skepticism isn't altogether misplaced.

Liut and PaperDoll like this.
  3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

In my experience - only that - folks under, say, 25 currently - the ones who really grew up with social media - are a quite different than millennials on social media.

4. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Addition by subtraction …

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

She’ll make 10x her salary off the upcoming lawsuit.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

NYT story said it was by email.

garrow, Songbird and Slacker like this.
  7. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Human history is kind of marked by cycles of bunching up together for X years, and then one group saying "fuck this" and splitting off Y years later. It's kind of hard to claim the web destroyed our civil society when like the Boston desegregation riots happened in 1974, about 10 years before I was born. This shit has always been there, it's just been easier to ignore or to claim ignorance on.

8. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Hahaha. Acceptable, in this case.

But it shoulda been via Twitter!

9. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Since it was coming from "the fossils," a Facebook message would have been more apropos.

Liut likes this.
  10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Reporter Felicia Sonmez Is Fired by The Washington Post

Ms. Sonmez was fired over email on Thursday afternoon, according to one of the people. In an emailed termination letter, which was viewed by The New York Times, Ms. Sonmez was told that The Post was ending her employment, effective immediately, “for misconduct that includes insubordination, maligning your co-workers online and violating The Post’s standards on workplace collegiality and inclusivity.”

The email, from Wayne Connell, the Post’s chief human resources officer, also said Ms. Sonmez’s “public attempts to question the motives of your co-journalists” undermined The Post’s reputation.

11. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I'm sure cases like this have already occurred, but this seems a really modern/changing iteration to me: Would a firing by email actually stand up in court? Against, say, a lawsuit?

It just seems like something that should, and would need to, be done in person, with final closures and signatures (or refusals), etc. I know there can be job abandonment by an employee that can lead to/justify a termination. But I'm not sure that really works, in reverse, does it?

12. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Don't go Baron on us, Doc.

Draft saved Draft deleted