1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tension at The Washington Post

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Jun 28, 2020.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Apparently she was fired. Lawyer Ken White says on Twitter the Post will not be in the best of positions if she sues.

2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

It depends. With the caveat that I know none of the details, there is a thin line between protected complaints and ignoring lawful directives.

FileNotFound likes this.
  3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Taking it to its logical conclusion, they offer her a huge buyout on the condition that she go away quietly, she takes the buyout, and then slams them on Twitter repeatedly and sues anyhow.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2022
  4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

A) She's 39.

B) Everybody always got orange slices and the trophies. I'm 55. I got trophies in every league I ever competed in when I was a kid. You think trophy shops survived the 60s and 70s only selling trophies for winners?

6. As The Crow Flies

As The Crow Flies Active Member

To be fair, 39 years old is technically a millennial.

Liut likes this.
  7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

contra:

8. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

We're about the same age. I never once received a participation trophy. Got one as baseball team's MVP. That's it.

9. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Myself, I received the Can’t Hit the Curve Ball, Go Into Sportswriting trophy when I was 15.

Liut, Baron Scicluna, maumann and 3 others like this.
  10. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

My Mom produced ribbons for each player on my Little League team when I was in third or fourth grade. Mine was something like "Most supportive teammate." Moms know! :D

Liut, garrow and I Should Coco like this.
  11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'm surprised such a person made it to the Washington Post. I've worked in a few newsrooms in my life and I couldn't imagine anyone expecting to have a job in the morning airing dirty laundry to the public in such a reckless way. There are processes that need to be respected. That also goes for anyone taking part in the Twitter-feud. You wonder how anyone got any work done constantly checking their feeds. My goodness.

Fdufta, Liut and matt_garth like this.
  12. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

This is pretty much every newsroom in which I ever worked, only via Twitter rather than leaking it to the guy at the alt-weekly.

Liut, wicked and Michael_ Gee like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted