1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Credentialed "reporter" (Grant Cohn) vs. Javon Kinlaw and the 49ers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Kolchak, May 30, 2022.

1. Kolchak

Kolchak Active Member

The first four paragraphs from an SFGate article:

A feud between 49ers defensive tackle Javon Kinlaw and longtime Bay Area sportswriter Grant Cohn melted down in spectacular fashion on Tuesday, with Kinlaw confronting Cohn at practice and then berating him later on the writer’s livestream.

Cohn, a second-generation team gadfly who now writes about the 49ers for a Sports Illustrated blog, has been deriding Kinlaw as an injury-prone bust since nearly the moment he was drafted in 2020. According to Cohn, Kinlaw stared him down at Niners OTAs in Santa Clara on Tuesday. As Cohn recounted with a huge smile on his face, he responded by asking Kinlaw “Why are you looking at me like that, Javon?”

At that point, Kinlaw apparently decided he had heard enough. Kinlaw allegedly responded by calling him a “bitch-ass” N-word and knocking the hat off his head, according to Cohn. AP writer Josh Dubow, who was there, confirmed Cohn’s account.

In a video recapping the first confrontation with Kinlaw, Cohn freely admitted that he’s said a “hundred negative things” about Kinlaw, including saying he has an “80-year-old knee.” But when Kinlaw appeared on his stream hours later, Cohn pretended not to know why the player was mad. This is the difference between Cohn and the truly Jim Rome-grade trolls: He couldn’t keep his story straight.

Pat McAfee's take:

Mike Florio's take on Pro Football Talk:

I’m not going to spend much time on this, other than to say it’s obvious that the reporter is utilizing his access to troll one specific player in a deliberate effort to provoke the kind of reaction that will elevate the reporter. I’ve watched the videos. It’s painfully obvious. It’s a get-rich-quick scam by someone who is willing to antagonize players under the guise of “calling it like I see it.”

2. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Didn't the reporter say something like he wasn't scared or intimidated, because the only thing going through his mind was if Kinlaw so much as pushed him, he would be able to immediately retire as a multi-millionaire?

Not the best look, especially with how many of Kinlaw's teammates have come out in his defense.

3. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Did he possibly accidentally steal Kinlaw's phone? #CrossLockedThreading

garrow, Huggy, Baron Scicluna and 9 others like this.
  4. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

How often does this occur?

5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Will McDonough rolls his eyes from the great beyond.

playthrough likes this.
  6. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

From Wikipedia, here's what that is a reference to, "McDonough became a hero among Boston sportswriters after a 1979 altercation with Patriots cornerback Raymond Clayborn, in which the 44-year-old McDonough leveled Clayborn in the locker room after the third-year cornerback had poked him in the eye."

There are links to that on McDonough's Wikipedia page. Here's the best link to those links, Will McDonough - Wikipedia.

7. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

A Whitey Bulger apologist.

8. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

I can't believe this story bubbled under the surface until recently. Hopefully a reality check for Cohn.

NFL reporters are back in the locker room and one today actually said, "I won't Kinlaw you" to a reporter.

9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

He's in a long line that starts with the FBI.

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

All I've ever seen from him is clickbait.

11. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

It's SI dot com/Maven. That's all you're gonna see.

2muchcoffeeman and HanSenSE like this.
  12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

He was that way when he worked for the Santa Rosa Press-Democrat. An easy non-follow.

Draft saved Draft deleted