1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2022 Pulitzer Prize Winners

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by garrow, May 9, 2022.

1. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

dixiehack and Liut like this.
  2. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Thank you for sharing.

garrow likes this.
  3. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

But is it Pew-Lit-Zer or Pull-It-Sir?

MeanGreenATO, garrow and Liut like this.
  4. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Fox News wonders why Hunter Biden was ignored

5. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

State of the Board: Three total posts.

dixiehack and Liut like this.
  6. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Sad, but not surprising. The first was a thank you, the second funny, the third biased.

7. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

I don't think it says as much about the board as it does the industry as a whole. Awards are generally for resume padding and once you get to a certain point, it really doesn't matter. Pulitzers are one of the few exceptions to that.

Also, on a related note, I haven't been an APSE finalist in a decade and no, I am totally not bitter about it.

PaperClip529 likes this.
  8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I always check to see if any former colleagues won anything. Been lucky enough to attend an announcement that a paper I worked at won one. (It was my first day no less - got a close up look at the medal a few years later). And I am glad the board has broadened their scope to include magazines and podcasts. Still - the Pulitzers are kind of like the CFP, you see the same "teams" every year, with an occasional little guy invited to the table. And its only gotten worse. Used to be more than a few major metros were competitive outside of DC and NY and didn't require a local disaster to win a prize.

9. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Great story at the O.C. Register, which won a photography Pulitzer for its 1984 Olympics coverage. It was the first day for a new employee. He arrives for work and a current employee is asked to show him around the building. They're in the newsroom when the Pulitzer announcement is made. The staff goes nuts, popping champagne corks, spraying it everywhere, people riding around on each others shoulder. The newbie asks his guide, "What's going on?" The guide says, "It's payday."

Fdufta, sgreenwell and garrow like this.
  10. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Are you saying that Pulitzer board is parochial and favors the New York Times and a couple other large metros or that staffs have been decimated at most papers that there is no way in hell a staffer has the time or resources to develop a Pulitzer worthy story?

11. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Papers I was at won multiple Pulitzers. But I was never about personal prizes or that annual award bullshit.

Maybe because the one time I went after a design award, like 25 years ago, with some really nice display work on news, sports and feature fronts, I found that submission package in my supervisor's trash can three days later. What an asshole she was, and she didn't last long in the biz anyway. ... Didn't really care, or pursue, awards after that. The real work, the daily newpaper, was our mission and our primary focus back then.

Anyway, I was happy enough (almost) to do my part a few times in support roles when we won the Pulitzers.

The ones we lost, though, are still baffling. Those works were better than most of our winners.

12. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

Why did she put it in the trash can?

Draft saved Draft deleted