1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Robin Miller

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Aug 25, 2021.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Dammit.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

This hits very, very hard. Robin was a tremendous friend and colleague during my years as a motorsports writer and PR hack. When I first started covering the Indy 500, my seat in the media center was right behind him -- and what an education that was. He was ornery, honest, funny and a motorsports encyclopedia.

During his decades on the beat, he pissed off everyone from AJ Foyt to Tony George (often), which at times didn't do him any favors professionally. He didn't care, and was always proven right when calling someone out. He just couldn't stand to see IndyCar diminished during "The Split," Nascar taking over with contrived racing and Indy 500 drivers putting their lives on the line for a pathetically low purse. To name just a few columns.

He was just about the last of his kind, having seen press boxes empty out all over. When reporters were let go and down on their luck, he'd send a box of Omaha Steaks or help in other ways that he'd never want anyone to know about.

Once Robin invited me to his weekly lunch with old, broken-down racer friends (literally, you don't survive the old eras of sprint/midgets and Indy without scars if not lost appendages). At a greasy spoon on the westside of Indy, they would trade laughs and insults and stories and it was so much fun -- and obvious how beloved he was to these guys.

Robin also covered the ABA-era Pacers and a lot of bad Colts teams, and was always in a high school gym on a Friday night as a fan. He loved sports and loved people and I'm going to miss the hell out of him.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2021
  4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

That was a great tribute. I only knew him from the byline and the TV hits. You could tell from his strong opinions that he had knowledge of and passion for what he covered. RIP.

maumann likes this.
  5. Splendid Splinter

Splendid Splinter Well-Known Member

Rough month for IndyCar fans. RIP

maumann likes this.
  6. 2muchcoffeeman

Racer Magazine put up a post in the overnight that Miller’s Mailbag would be going on hiatus. They appear to have taken it down. Here’s their obit.

Robin Miller 1949 – 2021

maumann and garrow like this.
  7. 2muchcoffeeman

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

9. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Never met him but certainly knew his work.
    One of the best racing writers there was.
    RIP

maumann likes this.
  10. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

God, someone check on Donald Davidson tonight. Between Uncle Bobby, Bitchin' Bob and Robin, the American open-wheel world hasn't lost this much institutional knowledge since Economaki died. And Donald sounded very frail on this year's radio broadcast.

playthrough hit it perfectly. Robin, the kid who dropped out of Ball State, goofed around in the pits and somehow talked himself into creating a position as a racing writer because nobody actually thought people would read about it outside of the month of May, was the epitome of "must read" for serious open-wheel fans. He had the connections and even more amazing, was willing to push the "hot buttons" to get the inside scoop. And he never lacked an opinion, whether you agreed or not.

Surprisingly, I only crossed paths with him once or twice. He wasn't a taxicab guy, so I never was in Indianapolis at the same time. But I read the Star and IndyCar Magazine religiously.

RIP, Robin. You were unique.

Driftwood and franticscribe like this.
  11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

12. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Other than Donald Davidson and a handful of drivers -- A.J., Mario, Al, J.R. -- perhaps Mike Harris (the retired AP sportswriter one, not Moddy) and Paul Page are the only ones who witnessed the beginning of the winged era first-hand from above the track.

Driftwood likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted