1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Grey Cup Glory: The 2021 CFL running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by maumann, Aug 8, 2021.

1. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Correct. In the CFL, if the offense gets the ball inside the one, it's moved back out to the one because the defense has to be a yard off the ball. This keeps the defense from having to line up inside its own end zone.

2. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

COVID outbreak forces Edmonton- Toronto to be postponed. Looking for an October date.

3. apeman33

They won't be able to do that without postponing at least one other game. The Thanksgiving Classics give Toronto a really screwed-up schedule where the Argos come off a bye then play on a Wednesday (the 6th) followed by Thanksgiving Monday (the 11th). It's followed by another bye but Edmonton is scheduled to play Friday of that week (the 15th) and Toronto plays the following Friday.

4. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Als-TiCats
    Who says I have nothing to do tonight?

maumann and Tighthead like this.
  5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Is that a new rule, or something maybe from the last 10 years or so? I remember seeing a couple of times where the offense had the ball a few inches or a foot away and the quarterback just sneaked it in because the defense was nearly a yard in the end zone.

6. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

No late game on a Friday is a bummer.

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

No, it’s always been this way I believe. You always have to be a yard off the ball.

Tighthead likes this.
  8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I know they’ve had the yard off the ball rule. I was wondering if there was a new rule making if the offense is inside the 1-yard line so the defense doesn’t have to line up in the end zone. As in, if the offense ended up an inch short, did they change the rule to put them back on the 1-yard-line so the defense isn’t 2 feet, 11 inches in the end zone.

9. apeman33

As far as I know, that's always been the rule.

Trivia: Until 1975, it was illegal to block on punt returns in the CFL. Once the ball was kicked, the returner was on his own.

maumann likes this.
  10. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

I knew the kicking team has to give the returner "a halo" of space to catch the ball, but can't imagine standing there with as many as 12 guys bearing down on you without getting blocked.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

It's always been the rule.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Hey, the Labour Day Classic, Ticats vs Toronto Argos at Tim Horton's Field at 1:00 EST on Monday in Hamilton. Been a tradition for decades
    The city shuts down and the crowd is, um, rowdy. Great thing is the stadium is right in the middle of a neighbourhood in the east end of Hamilton. When you're sitting in the stands and look over to one side, you see Hamilton Harbour and to the other side, The Niagara Escarpment aka The Mountain. Hamilton was Pittsburgh north, full of factories and workers ---my dad was a steel worker
    Argo fans were seen as pampered frat boys. I used to go to Ticat games regularly from the time I was about 12 and although I've lived in Toronto for forty years, the Argos still suck :)

Draft saved Draft deleted