1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Grey Cup Glory: The 2021 CFL running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by maumann, Aug 8, 2021.

1. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

I always liked seeing the Spectator offices sitting high above the 403 on the way to the QEW

Tighthead likes this.
  2. Old Crank

Old Crank Active Member

I have never been to Tim Hortons Field, which is the rebuilt Ivor Wynne Stadium. But I did spend a lot of time in the old Ivor Wynne press box. It had a tremendous view of the Dofasco (I think) steel mill and its smokestacks belching pollution 24/7. The late great Rex MacLeod of the Toronto Star loved to sweep his arm toward the view and declare, "Such a charming vista ..."

garrow and maumann like this.
  3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

If they do eventually get a franchise going in Halifax, my guess is once a season or so they'll play a game in a full blown fog-shrouded nor'easter.

maumann likes this.
  4. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

I love that Hamilton can be leading Saskatchewan 1-0 after one quarter.

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Classic, never gets old

maumann likes this.
  6. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Hamilton has some great neighbourhoods and some that are absolute dumps. The latter may still outnumber the former, but the gap is slowly shrinking.

7. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Too bad. Aberdeen Avenue looks charming.

[​IMG]

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Tonight’s halftime score: Edmonton 15, B.C. 4

maumann likes this.
  9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Why isn’t this a TD? Guy hits the pylon, which is out of bounds in the end zone in every other league. Yes, the ball isn’t across the line, but I’ve seen it plenty in the NFL where a guy dives and hits the pylon and the ball isn’t across and it’s a TD.

10. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

I haven’t listened to the audio of that clip so I may be missing something, but I can’t see why that would be a touchdown. The guy hit the pylon on his way out, not on the way in. The ball didn’t come within two feet of the goal line.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

So where would the ball be placed if there were another play? He's out of bounds in the end zone, so that doesn't matter? It's just like if he were out of bounds at the 1 and held the ball back to the 2? The ball would be placed at the 2?

If a guy dives for the end zone, hits the pylon with one hand but the ball is in the other and touches down short of the goal line out of bounds, it's where the ball touches, not him being out of bounds in the end zone?

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

If there was another play, the ball would be where it was located when he went out of bounds, so in this case, it’s be on the 1. It’s why sometimes if you see a quarterback going out of bounds at the first down marker, they hold the ball forward to get the extra foot of yardage.

Yes to your second question. No matter what, the ball has to cross the plane of the goal line or hit/go over the pylon while the player has possession. The player can be entirely in the end zone except for the hand touching the ball, but if the ball doesn’t touch the plane, no score. Likewise, the guy can entirely be on the one, but as long as they possess the ball and a piece of it touches the plane, it’s a score.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted