1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Grey Cup Glory: The 2021 CFL running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by maumann, Aug 8, 2021.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Watching Ronnie Lancaster of the western Riders on Toronto TV was a staple of my teens.

misterbc and maumann like this.
  2. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

One problem the CFL has now is that the NFL is more open-minded about QBs these days, so we aren't getting the likes of Flutie and Allen. It's always been a QB league, even more than the NFL, but it's lacking stars at the position right now.

misterbc, cyclingwriter2 and maumann like this.
  3. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

I always thought it cool that there were Rough Riders and Roughriders in a nine-team league. Now that I know the history, it's not so odd. But as a broadcaster, it's sort of like trying to call a Georgia-Mississippi State game.

cyclingwriter2 and garrow like this.
  4. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

A Rick Matsumoto reference. Fantastic.

5. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

A guy I know was the league’s Director of Finance in the late 80s/early 90s and was there when the league expanded to the US. The way he describes that foray makes the league sound incredibly Mickey Mouse. I’m amazed it’s still around in 2021.

6. Tighthead

TSN likely saved it with how they presented it on TV, and started paying decent money for the rights.

It's good summer programming dinghy aren't big on baseball. I'll bet I used to watch at least part of most of the evening games.

misterbc and Huggy like this.
  7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I watched a couple of Sacramento Gold Miners games in their first year (before the full Southern invasion), but what really told me the the CFL was different was a trip to Calgary many years ago (yes, there was a girl involved). I was driving past McMahon Stadium and saw the Stampeders holding practice. In the open. Alongside a busy street. A couple of days before the game. No way a NFL team does that. So, yeah, that makes me a Stamps fan.

misterbc, garrow and maumann like this.
  8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

To me, there's no doubt TSN's decision to make the CFL a weekend staple saved the CFL. No more blackouts like we used to get on CBC. Sure the league is still struggling in Toronto but TSN has done a great job of showing the product and the rabid fandom in other parts of the country.

misterbc, Tighthead and maumann like this.
  9. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Watched The Roughriders play BC on Hulu last night.

It’s cool because I have no idea who won that game, and it was a fun watch. I did scan a lot of it, but still worth while.

maumann likes this.
  10. Tighthead

I’ve always been of the opinion that people in the GTA watch games (not just Argos), they just don’t attend them. It’s a minority opinion but I don’t think TV ratings would take much of a hit if the Argos moved to another city.

Quebec City might be a better venue than Halifax. Football at the youth and collegiate level has boomed in Quebec.

Toronto, Vancouver and Montreal are arguably the three worst markets, despite being the largest.

Huggy likes this.
  11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Very good points, all. I am one of those GTA people who watch the games but don't go. BMO is such a pain in the ass to get to. I went to a few games at the dome even if it was a terrible venue for them.

I grew up in Toronto when the CFL was the second biggest sport in town after the Leafs. The Jays, Raptors and Toronto FC either didn't exist or were in their infancy. The CFL is a great product but unless you have a family history with the game why wouldn't you pay more attention to the Bills, who are two hours away (or on TV every weekend), have legendary tailgating opportunities and provide a chance to see some of the best teams and players in the NFL? Tough for the CFL to compete with that, in the GTA, at least.

garrow and Tighthead like this.
  12. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I enjoy the Grey Cup halftime show because more times than not it’s a Canadian band that no one in the U.S. has heard of, and they’re usually pretty good (although they tend to lean country).

One year, though, they booked Imagine Dragons, and I gave it a miss.

Draft saved Draft deleted