1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The TV thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

We watched the first episode of “Schmigadoon” on Apple TV. I told my son that I thought that it was basically the same formula as “The Good Place” with different numbers (from the SNL subset) plugged in. He said he could see that.

My wife then said that the roots of that equation can be found in “Gilligan’s Island,” so I had to take my hat off and slap her on the head with it because she knows that the long-established household theory is that Gilligan is some sort of anti-spinach and the castaways are stuck recreating an endless loop of Popeye cartoons.

maumann, Wenders and OscarMadison like this.
  2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

S2E1 of Lasso has me concerned.

Formulaic.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

4. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I bounce back and forth between United and City. Whichever club is winning, typically.

Genius.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2021
    Wenders likes this.
  5. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

They had a bunch of the Slow stuff on Netflix at one point, including one where a bunch of Norwegian ladies made a sweater, from the shearing of the sheep to the piecing it together. It was good background stuff.

Schmigadoon has some excellent Broadway cameos. Very intrigued.

Ted Lasso's premiere wasn't great, but Roy Kent is still stellar. He was the obvious highlight.

sgreenwell likes this.
  6. Songbird

He served his purpose in S1. Bringing him on this season to string together 18 cuss words doesn't have the same effect and degraded this episode.

7. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I was disappointed the other day when I was looking for it - it looks like they took it all away. The cable TV wasn't working, and I wanted to leave something on in the background for the dog, so he'd be soothed by that noise instead of barking at everything in the neighborhood.

8. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Agree that his arc was over and it would have been fine had his disappeared. But he’s a writer on the show and you just can’t drop the storyline with Keely

9. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

What @Webster said. Also, the scene where he goes on the double date with Keely, Rebecca and that toolbox (seriously "I root for Man U or Man City, whoever is winning at the time"? barf.) and then pulls Rebecca off to the side to tell her she should never have to settle for Fine? Shoot that into my veins.

I also like the potential in him coaching the little girl's soccer team. Eventually, I think he'll find his way back to some sort of job with the team.

10. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Apologies. I can't find the feckin' running geek thread.

Pluto TV will be running ComicCon for those who are interested. Don't know if they'll do relays to Twitter the way DC did with their virtual con last year.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

12. Songbird

I'll give Roy Kent a few more episodes.

Wenders likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted