1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP: Bobby Unser

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by maumann, May 3, 2021.

1. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Three-time Indy 500 winner Bobby Unser dies

Three-time Indianapolis 500 winner. Finished last in his first 500 and first in his last one. His younger brother won four and his nephew won twice.

Outspoken, funny and always engaging. One of the best TV analysts because of his candor. Always loved him ragging on Sam Posey, who couldn't be more different in background but they shared a love of open-wheel racing.

RIP. His brother Jerry was killed at Indy. Hopefully they're racing each other again.

misterbc and OscarMadison like this.
  2. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

The Unsers were big in what really seems to have been the golden age of Indycar racing. We'd go on memorial Day picnics and take a transistor radio so we could listen to the race. The Unsers, along with AJ Foyt, figured prominently

misterbc, HanSenSE, garrow and 5 others like this.
  3. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

RIP

The clock is ticking on a lot of the old greats across all forms of motorsports.

misterbc and maumann like this.
  4. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Indeed. RIP to one of the greats.

5. Ookpik

Ookpik Member

RIP.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Damn, losing Uncle Bobby sucks. Imagine we'll see some if not all of his Indy winners in the parade laps later this month.

maumann likes this.
  7. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

The Unser Racing Museum in Abq is a definite must-see. We were lucky enough to chat with Al the weekend of the Balloon Fiesta two falls ago.

playthrough, garrow and misterbc like this.
  8. misterbc

misterbc Well-Known Member

Just in Top Fuel there are ‘50/60s icons like Don Garlits, Don Prudhomme, Connie Kalitta, Chris Karamesines all of whom made their names driving slingshot rails; engine in front. I’ve sat in a couple...The Royal Canadian and Jerry Ruth cars and it’s almost a miracle that more fatalities weren’t recorded. Blower explosions and raging oil and nitro fires were common and in a very cramped cockpit with limited escape options. I remember when the full Nomex suits were first worn and the in cockpit fire extinguishers installed and that was v late 60s.

Driftwood likes this.
  9. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Very cool. I have never been to New Mexico, and that is on my list for when I go. I did get to see Al's last Indy 500 championship car at the Penske museum in Scottsdale that same year.

maumann likes this.
  10. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Big - 89
    Snake - 80
    Bounty Hunter - 83
    Petty - 83
    Allison - 83
    Cale - 82
    AJ - 86
    Mario - 81
    Unser - 81