1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You no longer have mail: America Online, keyword RIP

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by maumann, May 3, 2021.

Tags:
  1. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Remember those heady days when Internet monster AOL was able to buy TimeWarner for $182 billion? And Yahoo! bought Tumblr for $1.1 billion? Yeah, that didn't work out so good.

In 1999, AOL had a market cap of $222 billion. Yahoo! was valued at $140 billion in 2000 before its stock went from $475 a share to $8.

Verizon sold off AOL and Yahoo! for $5 billion to Apollo, which probably has no idea what to do with them, either. Too bad the "bad word" dot.com company website that kept track of all the implosions from 2000-2002 doesn't exist any more.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/05/03/verizon-sells-yahoo-and-aol-businesses-to-apollo-for-5-billion.html

Last edited: May 3, 2021
  2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

AOL: The internet with training wheels.

My main email addy is still on yahoo. I've had it for pushing thirty years. It's the fill out the form addy where all the sludge goes.

Inky_Wretch and maumann like this.
  3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Verizon paid almost $10 billion combined for them and is now getting out for slightly more than half of that.

As for what Apollo is going to do with it ... given that it is Apollo, the obvious thing will be to use the Yahoo! name to host online sports betting.

Neutral Corner and maumann like this.
  4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I still have an AOL email address I’ll check every year or two, to see if anyone has actually emailed (it’s always all spam). I wasted way too much time on there as a kid.

5. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Oath was a massive fail and worthless after goodwill writedown.

My former boss Tim Armstrong's legacy of nothing.

6. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

hotmail was my first email address (96, I think?) and it's still technically there via Outlook. I have 2 yahoos that I use for junk mail.
    I think there was a joke on Silicon Valley about a guy that still uses his hotmail address. Went something along the lines of: "I thought only grandmas and terrorists used hotmail still..."

7. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

He was tremendous as the lead singer of Rancid, as well.

8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Remember too that AOL was the world's largest supplier of free coasters for the best part of ten years.

9. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

10. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Back when AOL was king of the world, it had the most user-friendly email system I've ever used.

Still miss hearing this, too ...

Last edited: May 3, 2021
  11. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

garrow likes this.
  12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

My main email addy is still AOL -- I've had it since 1994 I think.

Draft saved Draft deleted