1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL offseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Splendid Splinter, Jan 11, 2021.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Beathard and Mullens weren't terrible stepping in for Garoppolo - actually better than the qbs the Giants, Broncos and who the Panthers just traded for.

2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone is giving up a 2nd (and 2 other picks) for Beathard and/or Mullens.

3. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

4. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Good story. I remember watching a pre-season game in some Bourbon Street dive in 1980, and Florian Kempf was kicking, for Houston I think. Kempf, who went to Penn, used to lean his head way down, near the turf, when lining up a kick. So there's this nothing extra point in a practice game, and Madden sees Florian Kempf and says, "Florian Kempf played in the Ivy League, when he does something, pay attention, he's a smart guy. (Kempf lines up.) So it's very important, when you're kicking, to smell the ball."

5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Madden was/is very sharp. A game which he was announcing had a botched extra point and the kicker ended up running it in while everyone was trying to block the kick which never happened. As they showed the replay of the kicker slowly crossing the goal line, Madden says “speed kills”.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Kempf got into a three- or four-point stance after measuring his steps in preparation for the kick. It was ... unorthodox, to say the least.

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if this was posted earlier, but Julian Edelman retired yesterday.

Patriots WR Edelman, 34, announces retirement

I'm not sure who was talking Hall of Fame, but there are already stories saying he doesn't deserve it. I agree. There are far better receivers who have been on the ballot and aren't in, like Hines Ward, Gary Clark, and Sterling Sharpe.

Can we please stop with the Julian Edelman Hall of Fame talk?

I wonder if that article is a bit of Patriots fatigue, not that there figure to be an overwhelming number of players from the Belichick-Brady era getting into the Hall of Fame.

10. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I was surprised to see Edelman didn't even make a single Pro Bowl, but then remembered he wasn't Wes Welker. Edelman had three 1,000-yard seasons, and only managed to play 16 games three times. Probably a Patriots HoF guy, since he played his entire career there.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

He was a very valuable and versatile player for the Pats. Local hero? Most deservedly. Hall of Famer? No.

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

You’re right that Welker has a better case.

sgreenwell likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted