1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thoughts and Prayers: The Religion Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Slacker, Oct 15, 2019.

1. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

The question was not about labels. The question was about Alma forcing Abbott to self-define.

OscarMadison likes this.
  2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The post that begins with "Fuck you for lying. Fuck you and your fellow scum sucking cult members."

That one. That out of line?

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The truth is - I think - is that Easter doesn't sell. There isn't enough of a marketing hook. Sure, some churches may advertise their services on the radio, but there isn't an ancillary benefit to getting people thinking about Easter, like there is with Christmas. Maybe you buy the kids some new nice clothes, drop some cash on Easter baskets and such - but there isn't enough of a payoff to make it worthwhile.
    It's one of the reasons stations start playing Christmas music in October, people will start buying stuff in October, stuff that is advertised on those stations because people are obviously listening to the music and interested in Christmas.
    Oddly enough - people do spend some cash around Easter.

How Much Americans Spend on the 10 Biggest Holidays

OscarMadison likes this.
  4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I wasn't forcing anyone to do anything. I was asking a question.

On the flip side of the coin, I and other Christians were labeled "scum sucking cult members" by Abbott. You did not ask him, however, about labels.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Have Christians apologized for creating slavery in the Western Hemisphere? Papal Bulls of 1452 and 1493. The Pope, in the name of God and Christ
    “... Out of our own sole largess and certain knowledge and out of the fullness of our apostolic power, by the authority of Almighty God conferred upon us in blessed Peter and of the vicarship of Jesus Christ, which we hold on earth, do by tenor of these presents...”

6. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Every Hedgewitch I know loves it. If they had altar calls, this would probably be what they would play.

Oy with the idea of Easter songs on the radio already!

I've seen that one cited by free-thought people. Dawkins is also considered to be the gold standard for skepticism regarding religion. Sagan wrote The Demon-Haunted World and I think it holds up when it comes to accounts of deciding if religion is right for an individual or not. I was left with the idea that he was saying, this is my story and I think I'm right, but everyone is going to have to decide for themselves.

Labels came up as the term used for self-definition and it was argued as such. I responded.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Commercially, this could have been the Easter song.

PaperDoll likes this.
  8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I grieve sins and injustices made in the name of Christ, absolutely.

I’m happy we’re getting around to it. I don’t get the sense you have any particular problem with religion at large. Just Christianity. Which is fine. Again - nothing new there. Christians have done all kinds of bad things in history and today’s Christians have to reckon with it.

OscarMadison likes this.
  9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Now we know why church attendance is declining.

10. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

I am thunderstruck by that question - why the heck isn't there an Easter song? Great point- you should have pitched this to someone.

OscarMadison likes this.
  11. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

Easter is a big deal where I live. In a normal year a lot of money would be thrown around here with the accompaniment of rare good April weather.

It just doesn't sell, no. Other than the sweets, it's a hard sell to a little kid as well, as to celebratory aspects of it.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Why didn't you quote the whole post? I would ask who exactly is lying and who exactly is he calling a cult member. I really don't care about the profanity. He is wrong about the lying. It isn't a lie if the person genuinely believes what they are saying. Is it out of line to be wrong?

Was he saying all religions are cults? That's a bit much.

Draft saved Draft deleted