1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gambling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, Oct 18, 2013.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

VSiN was bought by DraftKings. Uncle Brent now has a lot more money for my next profile pic. Will be interesting to see how that plays out on their programming; guessing they'll still broadcast from the South Point and Circa in Vegas but shows won't be "Brought to you by BetMGM" or the like.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Did a little research, and here's my pre-tourney betting slip for Augusta. Potential winnings on $5 bets -- $243.20/$10 bets 486.40. Hoping to hit another bankroll builder today to add some more funds for in-tourney betting.

Rolling with Jon Rahm, so if I'm picking that, I may as well pick a couple of other things that tie in.

Winner -- Rahm (+1200)
    Winner region -- Continental Europe (+700)
    Winner nationality -- Spain (+950)
    Top Euro -- Rahm (+950)
    Top 10 -- Colin Morikawa (+270)
    Top 20 -- Paul Casey (+105)
    Top 40 -- Matt Wallace (-130)
    Top debutant -- Will Zalatoris (+110)
    Hole in one on 16 -- Yes (+110)
    Make cut -- Tyler Strafaci (+400)

playthrough likes this.
  3. playthrough

I've always liked the nationality bets. Gimme Mackenzie Hughes for low Canadian.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Had some freeplay, so put it on a Tribe/Royals under 8 & Rangers/Jays over 8½ parlay. Probably just jinxed it, although no score in Cleveland through three.

5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

No one is paying me for my touts but I've got a hard time thinking a new father is good at anything the next week after birth. I certainly understand Rahm has a great track record at Augusta and is primed for a major breakthrough. I'm picking Xander to finally do it, very long hitter, really nice touch around green and dependable putter.

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

For reference, Danny Willett won his green jacket right after the birth of a child. It can happen.

7. playthrough

Just three Masters plays, a light card for me but just burning through free bets:
    Thomas to win +1200
    Leishman top-30 +164
    Hughes low Canadian +180

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

A few hits, I'll take it. Rahm backdooring his way to top Euro as Rose crumbled at the end was helpful.

9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Admittedly, I was wrong about Rahm, he certainly had his head on straight.

Dammit, Xander a 6 on 16 when its there for a potential 2? Maybe Hidecki doesn't bogey 2 of last 3 if Xander doesn't hit it into the water but it was right there for the taking. Oh well, happy for Hidecki what a stud tee to green, just that putting stroke has never looked smooth enough for me. His short game too was tremendous this week.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Friend of mine got a Draft Kings account and forwarded me an invite, so I decided to take the free bets and pull some capital out of FanDuel and put it in DK. They have some interesting boosts and seem to give out a few more bonuses than FD, and the depth of soccer to bet on is astounding. Gives me something to do to pass the workday, ha. Will have to keep an eye out for some of those line discrepancies between the two.

Perfect example: One of the people I follow heartily recommended the Nationals TT over 3.5 runs today. FD had it at 4, DK at 3.5. Obvs I placed the bet on DK.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
  12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted