1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2020-21 College Basketball thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JayFarrar, Sep 22, 2020.

1. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

I was only half paying attention at the time, but worse than the one where they kept cutting in Jennifer Hudson shots?

2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I just read how Scott Drew has been at Baylor since 2003; I realize I need to give him more respect for this victory.

3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I have wondered the same thing.

4. tapintoamerica

Texans gonna Texan.

5. tapintoamerica

Several of them have Virginia in the top 25. Cavs have nothing except reputation right now.

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I can't buy the conference crap.

No one griped about Nevada-Las Vegas being in the PCAA/Big West when Tark was there.
    No one griped about Memphis' conference affiliation when Cal was there.
    So why is it different with Gonzaga?

7. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Those three teams have combined for nine final fours and have one title among themselves.
    It’s a small sample, but mathematically, they should have two.

But, since John Wooden won his first over 50 years ago, only six times has the NCAA title not come from a power basketball conference.
    UConn- Big East (fading)
    Louisville - Metro twice
    Marquette - Indy
    Texas Western - Indy
    UNlV - Big West

That tells me conference play and quality of conference play does mean something.

8. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I hope they never have to vacate it.

Baylor has always had a real hard time handling success.

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

It just tells me bigger schools play in the power conferences. I don't think it says anything about the rigors of conference play.

If it was conference play that made a difference you'd theoretically see more schools from those conferences winning titles. In the past 60 years there are exactly two schools from the Pac 12 to win the tournament. In the Big 10 I think it's three.

UCLA wasn't winning titles because of their road trips to Corvallis and Pullman.

10. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

There’s something there, though.

Maybe the five-star and four-star kids are not attracted to the smaller conferences? I know Gonzaga is getting big time recruits now, but maybe not enough of them? They needed a shot-blocking, rebounding big badly in the last two games they played, and if they had him, he never got off the bench.

11. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

It's almost like historically, big time conferences and teams are able to offer $omething to recruits that smaller schools can't, whether we're talking direct benefits or something like a slew of tutors to make sure you don't fail.

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

If you count UConn as part of a fading conference, then don't forget Villanova's recent title. Same conference.

sgreenwell likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted