1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I got mine last Thursday at Walgreens. Supposed to go back four weeks later (had to make the second appointment when making the first one).

micropolitan guy likes this.
  2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Interesting how Walgreens is dispensing vaccines but the Washington Baseball Team refuses to get vaccinated.

Hermes likes this.
  3. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Was talking to the local realtor trying to sell the defunct Walgreens building in our town. It’s going to be tough to ever fill in our corner of the sticks.

“You should approach the Washington Nationals about making it a team shop. Wouldn’t even need a new sign.”

(Crickets)

I need to remember to keep my awful jokes to just the internet.

garrow and Baron Scicluna like this.
  4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Walgreens had more RBIs last year.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

The question was never "do we need to alter our lives?" as much as "to what degree should government alter our lives"?

How many people on here would have gone to restaurants had they been open and at full capacity the whole time? Heck, I know a few people who STILL are awaiting their first haircut in more than a year.

6. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I work with dozens of people who don’t think it’s real. My sister won’t shop at Wal-Mart because they had the temerity to make her wear a mask.

It’s an actual question for lots and lots of people.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Where, pray tell, DOES she shop? :eek:

8. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

You think rural grocery stores enforce mask mandates.... hahahahahahahaha!

When I wear a mask into a gas station every morning, I get stared at like I’m a dangerous person. Fifteen people in line, I’m the only one.

Suburbanites, conservative suburbanites especially, have no idea how stupid it is out here.

The county over from us is the only county in the entire state of Indiana still at orange level. They refuse to wear masks and they’ll refuse to get vaccinated.

Forget it, it’s Stupidtown.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021
  9. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Got the second Moderna today at a very well run site at a college near my house — they were doing about 300 an hour. 4 hours later, no side effects other than a very mildly sore arm. Of course, now I’m paranoid that the shot didn’t really work.

10. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

11. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Got the Moderna 2.0 yesterday. No problems.

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Huh.

I’m more concerned by this, though.

LONDON (Reuters) - One in three COVID-19 survivors in a study of more than 230,000 mostly American patients were diagnosed with a brain or psychiatric disorder within six months, suggesting the pandemic could lead to a wave of mental and neurological problems, scientists said on Tuesday.

Researchers who conducted the analysis said it was not clear how the virus was linked to psychiatric conditions such as anxiety and depression, but that these were the most common diagnoses among the 14 disorders they looked at.

Post-COVID cases of stroke, dementia and other neurological disorders were rarer, the researchers said, but were still significant, especially in those who had severe COVID-19.

“Our results indicate that brain diseases and psychiatric disorders are more common after COVID-19 than after flu or other respiratory infections,” said Max Taquet, a psychiatrist at Britain’s Oxford University, who co-led the work.

The study was not able to determine the biological or psychological mechanisms involved, he said, but urgent research is needed to identify these “with a view to preventing or treating them”.

Anxiety, at 17%, and mood disorders, at 14%, were the most common, and did not appear to be related to how mild or severe the patient’s COVID-19 infection had been.

Among those who had been admitted to intensive care with severe COVID-19 however, 7% had a stroke within six months, and almost 2% were diagnosed with dementia.

“Although the individual risks for most disorders are small, the effect across the whole population may be substantial,” said Paul Harrison, an Oxford psychiatry professor who co-led the work.​

Draft saved Draft deleted