1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thoughts and Prayers: The Religion Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Slacker, Oct 15, 2019.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The rant WriteThinking was responding to.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

If you have something specific to show me, quote it. If not, I already told you the thing he posted that I thought was out of line.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

You know the rant I’m talking about since it’s the same one you repeatedly lectured WriteThinking over responding to. Stop being dense. Was it out of line? You didn’t tell him it was. You did, however, engage in a long lecture of another poster who was offended by it.

So...was it out of line?

4. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

Some of those songs are bangers.

5. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Forgiving others -- one of the hardest parts of Christianity for just the reasons you allude to -- is not actually for the other person (although it can be good/helpful to them). It's really for the one doing the forgiving -- because if we don't forgive others, God will not forgive us when we face our final judgment.

6. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

It doesn't matter what they think. Or what I think. It matters what God thinks, and they will face judgment over any wrongdoings.

Most Christians will not do horrible things at all. But if they do, they will be convicted, and they will know they are being convicted, by the Holy Spirit. That's how He works, whether the person admits it is happening, or not. All Christians have experienced such conviction to some degree or other. How we respond to it is key, and either redeeming, or damning.

7. outofplace

Now look who is being rude. I'm not being dense. I'm being lazy. I'm not going to go back and hunt for the post and I don't remember exactly what he wrote. If you want me to respond to it, find it and quote it. Failing that, I already told you more than once the thing he wrote that I thought was out of line.

I wrote one post in response to Write being out of line. It dragged on because she first lied about her response, then kept arguing. Stop being dense and insisting it was some lecture that went on for pages when it could have been over in one response.

So find the post you want me to respond to or stop trolling. Thank you.

SFIND likes this.
  8. outofplace

A big part of this discussion is how religion affects this world, not the next one. Giving people the impression they can get away with horrible acts by feeling bad about it and accepting Jesus Christ as their savior later is dangerous. To imply otherwise is to stubbornly stick your head in the sand. Everything else you wrote is just a religion-based dodge of the point.

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I'm not trolling. You know the post, since you defended it as "daring to question" WriteThinking's beliefs.

You're not lazy, you're cagey. Which is fine. A lot of folks on this thread are, including the guy who doesn't know what I mean when I ask if he's an atheist.

10. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Will you just quote the fucking thing so this can end?

11. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

A Mormon mission ought to be administering to this thread.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Random thought: Why aren't there more Easter songs? Here comes Peter Cottontail and Easter Parade are about all I got. Not saying a radio station should go ALL EASTER ALL THE TIME for the month leading up to it, but whether it's a secular take on the holiday or a more religious type deal - I can't think of any others off the top of my head.

Draft saved Draft deleted