1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL offseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Splendid Splinter, Jan 11, 2021.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Sometimes these reclamation projects work out, but more often they don't. I just haven't seen Darnold do anything in the last three seasons to make me think he has a good chance to be in the former category.

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I hope you're all wrong. We'll see if the scheme, coaching and scenery change helps. Maybe the motivation that this is a make-or-break season will help. Maybe shedding all the crap with Gang Green will help.

Stay Tuned ...

3. Michael_ Gee

I could sure be wrong. Escaping the Jets has to help anyone's spirit. And while Darnold has been bad, he hasn't been beaten to a pulp, the usual way savior QBs for bad franchises wind up failing.

4. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

As a Jets fan I wish Darnold well. At times there was promise, but he was generally not good. And every coach that the NYJ interviewed in 2019 had to talk to Darnold and offer their plan for him before they made the hire and Darnold was starry eyed talking about Gase, so he has to take that on the chin as much as anyone. He's a broken player and I don't think the new Jets coaching staff should be saddled with trying to fix him.

5. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

I guess I look at it like this....If Darnold was a black quarterback there's no ESPN talking heads apologizing for him all day. He'd be written off as a guy that couldn't process information in the big bad NFL, he would've gotten cut and been signed on a low-rate one-year deal to backup. Because that's what his numbers and productivity should garner.

PCLoadLetter likes this.
  6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

And instead he goes to Carolina presumably to replace Teddy Bridgewater, who was light years ahead of Darnold in every measurable way last season.

HappyCurmudgeon likes this.
  7. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

In 3 years with the Jets, Darnold started 38 games; the Jets were 13-25 in those games. In those same 3 years, he missed 10 games and the Jets were 0-10 in those games. Darnold is a young QB learning the pro football QB position with a BAD team. When he was on the field, the Jets were merely "less BAD" then when he was on the bench.

The jury is still out on Darnold...

8. Michael_ Gee

My apologies to Sam Mills 51, but Darnold isn't exactly moving on to the '62 Packers here.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

First, I'm not sure he'll beat out Bridgewater.

Second, Bridgewater can manage a football game and have a high completion rate, but the arm isn't there, and he's not good in the red zone. (Darnold is worse!)

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That isn't a competition. It is Darnold's job. If they can't cut Bridgewater, they are going to try to get him to take a pay cut because he's not going to be a starter any longer.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The problem with having Bridgewater as your QB - you will never be truly terrible enough to draft someone better. With Darnold, there is a chance they're better, also a chance they end up drafting in the top three. Hell, eight of the Panthers 11 losses last year were by a touchdown or less.

Draft saved Draft deleted