1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Biggest pet peeve in sports today?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Splendid Splinter, Mar 18, 2021.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

There was one defensive hustle/steal by Baylor in the last minute that led to a transition basket. If anything would have fallen into the dreaded "bad sportsmanship" category, I guess that would be it.

2. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

When tennis players apologize with a wave to the opponent on a shot that hits the net and goes over. Moronic in a sport where players scream at the umpire and hit linesman with balls.

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

God, I HATE that. I play tennis and watch a lot of it, and I just don't get that. It's part of the game. Just like any other sport, sometimes you get lucky and sometimes you don't.

And it's not like you were trying to hit the net cord to make your opponent look bad (BTW, if I could do that on purpose, you're damn right I would). It would make more sense to apologize for hitting a great drop shot (and for the record, that wouldn't make sense, either).

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021
  4. goalmouth

Meanwhile, every fucking town park player cheats calling the baseline.

I once bet a buddy $1 he couldn't hit the net cord, which he then did. "What, no apology?" I said.

5. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

Of course the PGA won’t stand against Georgia by moving the Masters

This is a tire fire of an article, but one of my biggest pet peeves is people calling the PGA Tour the PGA. Calling it the Tour is fine. It’s not the PGA. This guy clearly has no clue that ANGC runs the Masters and they’ve played without sponsors before.

Unique Canadian pet peeve - “backcatcher” in baseball.

6. goalmouth

Every fucking British affectation by Americans regarding soccer.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Collective plural in reference to team/band names.

Minnesota IS playing Detroit. The Twins ARE playing the Tigers.

You'd think the British could speak English. But no.

HanSenSE likes this.
  8. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

When guys at work used to call out that the score was 2-nil, I wanted to start throwing stuff.

9. goalmouth

"Red Sock"

The end.

HanSenSE likes this.
  10. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

My dad gets super upset when he hears that too. He says they’re trying too hard. That and the MLS teams that pattern themselves after European clubs. Putting an FC at the end of team names because it sounds like you should except we don’t call soccer football or even fußball. Or calling a team United. DC United is the one exception I’ll make because of the play on US but Atlanta United gets my dad because United refers to the joining of old city clubs.

My dad just has little patience for US soccer announcers.

11. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

If you watch enough foreign soccer, you hear the lingo all of the time and it isn’t surprisingly that people use it. It’s not a crime against humanity.

I try not to use pitch or nil, but I definitely slip. It’s not like I am using “passed a late fitness test” or “the defense was at sixes and sevens”

12. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

My dad looks down on American announcers because we’re so new to the sport. He just gets tired of hearing Europeanisms with American stat-for-everything mentality. Of course he grew up watching soccer in Mexico so his expectations are different. I don’t mind pitch so much (I mean I would expect foreign announcers to say court or diamond). But I still rather listen to the NBCSN crew than the Fox Sports crew.

Webster likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted