1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2020-21 College Basketball thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JayFarrar, Sep 22, 2020.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

There is nothing dumber than the "way too early" top 25s for next year that come after this game. The transfer portal/NBA draft thing makes it an exercise in futility. Pure, trash clickbait.

HanSenSE likes this.
  2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

How about Baylor's 6-5 kid with 11 rebounds -- eight on the offensive end.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

"No rebounds, no ring" -- Pat Riley in 1985.

Songbird and DanielSimpsonDay like this.
  4. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Then don’t mention it at all. You don’t tell a story by just mentioning the middle and end. Well, maybe Tarantino does.

5. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

16 offensive rebounds and 14 Gonzaga turnovers translating to 18 more shots

ouch

6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Takes one to know one?

exmediahack likes this.
  7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Once they lay down that special floor he remembers he is an Important Announcer saying Important Things at an Important Event. And it actually used to be worse before he was paired with Raftery, who embodies the idea of have a glass of wine and enjoy life.

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

The OSM video was pretty lame, too. Mostly Gonzaga and Baylor, with the voiceover so loud you couldn't hear the music.

I remember when my school used to make the tourney and last for a round or two it always got a snippet or two. Didn't see much of the those type of schools, or even of my current fandom, which made the E8 and hardly got shown at all.

Batman and da man like this.
  9. Michael_ Gee

I think CBS is well aware of this, which is why he is paired with Raftery and with Romo on the NFL. They brought in color guys noted for enthusiasm and joie de vivre to counterbalance Nantz's penchant for solemnity. Of course, for reasons I will never understand, Augusta National wants solemnity in its broadcasts. It's a so much less stuffy event in person.

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Speaking of which, how did Westwood One decide to pair Jim Gray and Bill Walton together? And why is there still a market for Jim Gray’s unctuous bleating?

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I see this phrase and always think of the Albert Finney/Gabriel Byrne scene in Miller's Crossing.

12. Michael_ Gee

He's Tom Brady's pal. To keep Brady on a weekly basis, they have to keep Gray employed besides that one show.

Draft saved Draft deleted