1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

He’s all big, doped up black guy and the cops couldn’t do their job because the mob was yelling at them
    I wouldn’t be surprised if it works though

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Isn’t that part of the job?

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The sad truth of the George Floyd case is if the officer just shot Floyd and said he feared for his life - he would still be on the job. That he was cuffed and still killed - and this was caught on video is what will put him away.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

The officer, like Trump and his Christian followers, is guilty of malicious indifference, legally called depraved heart, to life they consider less than worthy. There’s no specific intent to kill. Did the officer inflict such serious bodily harm that death would be the likely result, 2nd degree murder. Or is it an assault that led to an unintentional death, manslaughter.

6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I think the paramedic's testimony that Chauvin wouldn't get off his neck even when he was told there is no pulse puts to bed any notion that he can be found guilty of manslaughter.

Of course, all it takes is 1 angry white guy on the jury and Chauvin walks and the country burns.

7. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

I think the officer never cared what harm he caused. I don't think he regarded George Floyd as a worthwhile human being. And the defense can say whatever wants, but that video speaks volumes. Derek Chauvin was not scared for his life, he was not scared of the crowd, and with his knee on George Floyd's neck he was no longer scared of Floyd. He knelt there for nearly 10 minutes, calm, cool, collected and not giving one care that he was torturing another human being. And I'm reasonably certain he doesn't care that George Floyd is dead.

8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I'm as passionate about Chauvin's heinous act as anyone (maybe not Floyd's close family) but I'm not willing to label all white guys as racists or Chauvin apologists. One juror? yes; doesn't have to be the white guy and may not be, that's why you play the game. There are many good white people in Minn, I've been there, had clients from there, I'm not going to use that broad of a brush.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  9. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

10. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

If they’ll agree to stick to tractor pulls and MMA and segregation academy football I promise not to show up and bother them.

OscarMadison likes this.
  12. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Just read a racist post in the politics thread pertaining to Clarence Thomas.

Draft saved Draft deleted