1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Biggest pet peeve in sports today?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Splendid Splinter, Mar 18, 2021.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Yards per attempt, IMO.

dixiehack and Hermes like this.
  2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

That seems to be gaining traction, and its prominence makes sense to me.
    The problem with the NCAA's passing efficiency formula is that is based on outdated notions of what constitutes "average" performance.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

One other pet peeve: In college football, yards lost on sacks still counts against a quarterback’s rushing total, but hasn’t in the NFL in the last few decades.

cyclingwriter2 and HanSenSE like this.
  4. Woody Long

Woody Long Well-Known Member

The use of the word 'commit' as a noun - i.e., "Everett, a Harvard commit..."

fossywriter8 likes this.
  5. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Out with a toe (or other body part).

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Calling a game that goes into extra innings "free baseball." Uh, no. You paid to see a game. Is it free football/basketball/hockey when those sports go overtime?

OscarMadison likes this.
  7. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

I hear “free hockey” all the time, even with friends watching on TV.

OscarMadison likes this.
  8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

The term I’ve always heard is “bonus baseball” (or basketball, hockey, etc.)

9. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I’m ok with the phrase only because I’ve never taken it seriously. Oh we’re going into extra time, we got free (fill in the blank), yuk, yuk. But if you use it in a nonironic way, I can see how it gets troublesome.

10. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

It's because everyone, everyone, hates extra innings

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I have yet to encounter a baseball fan who likes this new rule. Opinions range from distaste to near-violent hatred. When I was a sportswriter I hated extra innings, but that was naked self-interest. A significant percentage of baseball's most famous and celebrated games went longer than 10 innings. Game Five of the 1975 World Series, Game Seven of the 2003 ALCS and Game Five of the 2004 ALCS to name only examples from Red Sox history.

Splendid Splinter likes this.
  12. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

I don't watch baseball and haven't for decades. I don't know what rule change you're talking about. I was talking about the reference to free baseball and extra ratings. And I'm sorry just because there have been some epic extra inning games in post-season, doesn't change the thought that everyone hates extra innings in the regular season.

Draft saved Draft deleted