1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

FTW editor alleges a bunch of stuff after USA Today fires her over tweet

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Hot and Rickety, Mar 26, 2021.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Just remember one thing: Gannett once fired three female employees at USA Today for rubbing their fingers on the artistic dust of a blue ball sculpture in their lobby.

It’s not as if they don’t have a history of inconsistent firing standards.

Jesus_Muscatel likes this.
  2. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I can tell you exactly why: their gig is up. They're losing their grip on white males running everything and getting every conceivable break. Some of them manifest that frustration by passing restrictive voting rights bills. Others get elected President and blame all the brown people for everyone's troubles. Others storm the U.S. Capitol because the asshole who got elected President lost the next time out.
    Others get guns and blow people away.
    Tell me I'm wrong.

OscarMadison likes this.
  3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I’m not sure a lot of these guys think that far ahead. I’m not sure a lot of them think period.

I do wonder if more non-white would-be mass murderers get stopped earlier in the process because they draw more police scrutiny in general.

OscarMadison and Jesus_Muscatel like this.
  4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's pretty dead-on. White men tend to lose their shit at any suggestion that the world should not revolve exclusively around them.

It's one reason why there's never really a discussion about race -- because the white guys immediately turn everything into "So I'm a racist?!?" To understand and learn something and evolve on race issues you have to listen and think and question your beliefs and some of the things happening around you. Most white guys simply aren't willing to do that and the discussion shuts down the instant they get their feelings hurt. Which is pretty much at the start.

I think a lot of non-whites are less prone to shoot up a concert or supermarket because they are used to not being the center of the universe and can deal with the hardship in a way the Kyles of the world never will.

(And yes, I will acknowledge that if you count 3 people shot as a mass shooting then the number of white gunmen may not be disproportionate to the general population, since that's so damn important to some people.)

Last edited: Mar 27, 2021
    OscarMadison, TigerVols and dixiehack like this.
  5. cake in the rain

cake in the rain Active Member

Doesn't matter whether its 3 or 12, still actually less likely to be a white shooter.

But don't let facts ruin your myth, since it seems very important to you.

6. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

Source?

Adam94 likes this.
  7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

American Journalism Review - Archives

Severian likes this.
  8. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

No, but it was about all she, or anyone, could do on their own in the circumstances -- short of firing herself, of course.

9. Adam94

Adam94 Member

Damn, thanks for sharing this story. It's unbelievable, to be frank. And because Baron brought it up in reply to my original post...

I think this anecdote, though not related to race, only serves to buttress the implication of my original point: Gannett sucks.

Journalists who work for them often do great work. Papers themselves can achieve excellence. Gannett, the company, is embarrassing.

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  10. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

I’m sorry but I have no sympathy here. Nobody forced her to do something so dangerous and reckless. What she did to get fired is a fireable offense at any profession in the country whether it’s Strike 1 or Strike 38.

11. Adam94

Adam94 Member

Did Zombie Deadspin fire Julie DiCaro for saying essentially the same thing Hemal did?

12. Dog8Cats

Dog8Cats Well-Known Member

Yeah, what the hell's the fixation of three being a mass shooting? And I don't care if some study sets that as its threshold. Three people killed two time zones from me doesn't make the news and doesn't move the needle. Some dipshit shooting up a concert in Las Vegas or an elementary school in Connecticut ... their race?

Draft saved Draft deleted