1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

McClatchy to Declare Bankruptcy?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by LanceyHoward, Nov 14, 2019.

1. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Indeed. It’s remarkable how completely powerless rank and file staff in the newspaper industry have become over the past couple of decades. The idea that $45K is considered good news, when the people making those decisions are all making well into six figures, is nothing short of sad.

PaperDoll and wicked like this.
  3. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

That's why they're unionizing.

4. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Alas, with absolutely no leverage. Too little too late.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

6. SJ fan

SJ fan New Member

Does this mean the end of local newspaper advertising, especially among smaller daily papers? Put only national ads in papers and lay off all local sales forces.

7. BTExpress

I don't think so. E-mail we got just described it as a way to garner some extra revenue with little investment. Gannett basically does the legwork, McClatchy collects a little from that legwork.

Liut likes this.
  8. BTExpress

Well, I was only a few months off on my Election Day/Black Friday prediction.

McClatchy to outsource most of the Publishing Center's work to an outside vendor. 39 out of 64 jobs to be eliminated by mid-August.

Good thing I have two years of expenses in the bank and a little more than a year's salary coming soon from an estate settlement.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2021
  9. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

Ohhhh great ... there goes any semblance of quality copy editing ... :O

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

That happened years ago. Trust me on this one ...

11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Gannett in Austin?

12. BTExpress

Some vendor named Express KCS Ltd. Apparently they've been doing much of the print ad production for the company. So now they'll handle the live news pages, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted