1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2021 NHL regular season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Dec 26, 2020.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Or, the Caps are just a better team.

OscarMadison likes this.
  2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

That could also be part of why they're a better team.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

The Caps have been a very pleasant surprise this season. I'm starting to think Laviolette can coach a little bit. My son said to me yesterday: We like to bitch a lot but they're darn sure winning most of the time even with two unproven goalies.

A couple of real stars, solid depth, decent defense, surprisingly good goalkeeping (most nights). Well coached. It is a nice mix.

OscarMadison likes this.
  4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

A bunch of cliches? I’ll save you having to read 1000 words. Caps are a more talented team than the young Rangers.

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Schultz has been a nice surprise and Jensen's had a nice bounceback year on the back end. The additions of Sheary and Sprong have been crucial as well for depth. Sheary's been fabulous on that third line.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Really good mix. I've watched all 5 games against the NYR, only bits and pieces of a few of the games against the other teams. I was half hoping / half really thinking that they would take a step back this season, but no dice on that. Even though the Rangers have beaten them 3 out of 5 so far heading into tomorrow, you can see the difference between the teams. Hopefully some of our 21 year olds are taking something away from those games, in terms of what it takes to win, even on nights you don't quite have it. Samsonov impresses me. He oozes confidence.

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

The Buffalo Sabres have not won a game since Feb. 23,

8. The Big Ragu

Sorry if you root for them. :( Just brutal to watch. They have had some players out recently, so that explains some of it, but when they were healthy, I saw a couple of games that were an embarrassment effort-wise. Buffalo fans always struck me as loyal. They deserve better. I'd actually kill to be able to root for a team that has three players named Rasmus on it. But that team would really test me.

9. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Fans are asking if a goalie has ever gotten an assist on an OT goal. Made one attempt to look it up, failed, and stopped. **

Ducks taxi squad goalie Andrew Stolarz got one last night. It was unlikely that he would play and also unlikely that Josh Manson would score the goal.

Stolarz started the last game before the closure last year and hasn't started since, until Sunday. Manson is defenseman, not a skating whiz or a strong stickhandler. He never gets used in OT. But there they were.

The Ducks had the puck the entire OT as about 1:45 had been played. Blues forward Brayden Schenn was on the ice the whole time. Manson, a righty, got the puck on the right wing and tried to circle around Schenn. Couldn't make it. He circled back and sent the puck back to Stolarz. Stolarz came out nearly to the top of the circle and quickly passed it back to Manson. Schenn, clearly gassed, couldn't get to the bench. Manson tried to wheel around him again and beat him to the goal. He made a nifty backhand shot that went over Binnington for the winner.

All very unlikely, including that the Ducks overcame a 2-0 deficit in the third to win.

** Just read that it has happened five times previously.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2021
  10. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

Sabres take 3-0 lead into the third and lose 4-3 OT. 18 without a win.

11. The Big Ragu

Jeez. I was flipping channels last night and came across this game and saw them take the 3-0 lead. Had two thoughts: 1) they are finally going to break the losing streak, 2) Philly has really fallen apart over the last month. Then I went back to the Islanders-Penguins game. I can't believe Buffalo gave it away and then lost it that way.

Tighthead likes this.
  12. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted