1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Dave Kindred still writes...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Double Down, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Same.

I had no idea Jon Wertheim was doing work for 60 minutes now. Is he still at SI?

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Excellent segment. Touched on Dave's background, but made it mainly about his work with the high school team.

Been saying the same thing about girls' sports for years ... in part because I watched organizations discriminate against my mother during her more athletic days.

Keep up the good work, Dave.

Jesus_Muscatel likes this.
  3. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

4. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

I really enjoyed the piece. Dave has a remarkable humility for such an accomplished writer. He keeps it pretty simple. Then he writes his ass off. Heartbreaking to hear about his wife. A great man.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

He has frequented here in the past. A generational writer. Great piece.

6. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Enjoyed the 60M piece and was glad they told the story. Quite a legacy.

Jesus_Muscatel likes this.
  7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

8. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I understand Kindred's stature in our business and that he is an all-around great guy. I'm not knocking him at all.
    But I remember seeing this story 2-3 years ago. Why is it a story again now?
    I didn't watch "60 Minutes," maybe they answered that question, maybe there is something new. Don't know.
    Is this going to be like the Down kids who get to score a touchdown or a basket? It is a wonderful moment for them. Let them do it. But it is not a major publicity event every time it happens.

9. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Was probably just because he was on "60 Minutes". I didn't watch the segment (yet), but also, he recently had a book published about his grandson, Jared Kindred, and Dave's search for information on his life and death. Not sure if that was referenced in the "60 Minutes" segment, but I remember reading somewhere -- possibly in a link about the book -- that it was going to be.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2021
    ChrisLong likes this.
  10. SellOut

SellOut Member

He touches on something that I think gets lost in the constant measuring up of where we fit in in the food chain/where we're going etc: it's the process of reporting a story and then writing it that's the addiction. Not who we talk to. Not who reads us. Not "sourcing" etc. I've been lucky to do some pretty cool stuff (tho I am 52 Masters short of Dave) but the joy I get out of covering/reporting/writing a "big" event is no greater than the joy I got 20 years ago when I was doing preps. The stakes/venue/area might change, but the actual art of making it happen has not (at least for me). And I think that's what Dave was really talking about. That sitting in the stands it just sort of "kicked in" and if he finds it therapeutic in the face of personal loss, all the better.

11. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I think there was the initial story about him like, wow, this is what he is doing. He said in the piece within like a six-month span after he started this part of his life that his grandson died of an overdose, his mother died and his wife had a stroke that, in his words, made her an invalid and so covering the team has kept him going

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Wonderful piece and, damn, what a gift to those players.

Interesting that the girls have won four state titles yet the story said there are no banners in the gym. Maybe they'll get some now that this has aired.

Draft saved Draft deleted