1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Please allow me to interject my feelings about Mother Nature

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Nov 11, 2015.

1. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Wow. Glad to see people checking in.

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

The Stinker.

lakefront likes this.
  3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Antioch swimming I see from a fam member’s feed.

4. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Yikes. Is your family safe? I remember classes being called because Blue Hole Road was underwater. Also: Yes, I was a BAD Marching Bear because I didn't go pick up dead fish off the football field.

TigerVols likes this.
  5. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

I got my first sunburn of 2021 yesterday. Time to go grab a new can of sunscreen and put in my car.

OscarMadison likes this.
  6. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

And ... we're looking at a high of 48 and low of 28 on Thursday. Blackberry winter is what they call it around here.

OscarMadison and Driftwood like this.
  7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Great short story by that name by Robert Penn Warren. Suddenly it's 1972 and I'm back in my American lit survey class in Maryland Hall with Dr. Loxterman.

OscarMadison and maumann like this.
  8. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

We have had crazy rain the last two days. I spent a good while this afternoon picking up fish that had washed over the dam of my pond and throwing them back in. I'm actually on a two-hour delay tomorrow or work because of flooding around the county. It's supposed to get border line freezing tonight, so that could get interesting with the water.
    The high Tuesday is 72. Wednesday night, we have a slight chance of snow flurries.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2021
    maumann likes this.
  9. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

It came without no warning said Bobby Jo McLean
    She and husband Nolen always loved to watch the rain
    It sucked him out the window, he ain't come home again
    All she can remember's that it sounded like a train

-Drive-By Truckers

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Gonna need the trees to start making more seeds if we’re gonna plant more trees.

In addition, climate change is causing good seeds to become even more scarce. Years of drought can halt a tree’s energy-intensive cone production process. Warmer weather at lower elevations has also caused an increase in bugs that eat away at surviving seeds and cones. Forest fires are simultaneously increasing demand for seed while reducing the supply of trees to collect from.

“Every single seed collector I talked to says something along the lines of, ‘I’ve been doing this for 40 years and I have not seen this few master cones in my life,” Rempel says, referring to cones that produce good seeds for seedling growth. “Something’s changing. It’s not as predictable as it used to be. And then when they do produce crops, they’re not as great.”

Swift says he has a collecting area that hasn’t produced master cones in nine years. “It’s no question in my mind” that it’s a result of climate change, he says. Overall, the crops are smaller and more sporadic than they were a few decades ago. “If this keeps up, I really don't know what nurseries will do for seed in another 10 or 20 or 50 years,” he says.​

And that means more pollen wrecking my sinuses.

Wait a minute …

Reforestation Is Great! But We're Running Out of Seeds — WIRED

OscarMadison likes this.
  11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Big chance of tornados across the mid-South tonight. Good luck to all of us in the path.

Driftwood likes this.
  12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Also talk of a potential derecho overnight, which multiplies the suck factor tremendously.

Draft saved Draft deleted