1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2021-22 CFB Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Neutral Corner, Feb 2, 2021.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

The NFL's wide receivers were standing up for years and years when college football "split ends" and "flankers" were still in three-point stances. But college took its cues from the NFL years ago as it still does today. Three-point stances became two in D-I. Split ends and flankers and Xs and Ys became wide receivers.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

So was it a more gradual evolution than it seemed? I was a little too young to notice it in real time, but if I watch two games from, say, 1978 and 1985, the difference is definitely there. And as an 80s kid playing backyard football and emulating what I saw on TV, I never remember going down in a stance when I played receiver.

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Maybe coinciding with the rise of the West Coast offense and the need to be ready for the ball to arrive in an instant?

4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

5. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

When Hayden Fry turned the Iowa football program around in the 1980s, he had his tight ends stand up when just about no other team, college or pro, was doing that.

While you'll still see tight ends down in a three-point stance when they line up next to offensive linemen, they often stand up when they line up elsewhere these days.

6. dixiehack

7. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Not just any high school, it's the biggest high school in the state by far. He doesn't have to recruit and hobnob with boosters when he has 3,500 boys to choose from.

8. dixiehack

If there’s no recruiting going on in elite Texas hs football, I’ll eat my hat.

9. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I mean unless you live in the paradise that is Katy, Texas like I now do, you wouldn't understand why so many college prospects are eager to move here. :D

The weird thing I didn't realize until moving here though - It's like ALL sports, not just football.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  10. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

11. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

He almost certainly has to hobnob with boosters. In Texas, these people object to any form of taxation to benefit gumvint schools but are happy to spend money on the footbawwwl team privately.

12. dixiehack

Really. I’ve covered schools where banging the head cheerleader was a 50-50 proposition for the coach, but he’d be out on his ass for sure if he blew off the noon Friday booster luncheon.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
Draft saved Draft deleted