1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2021-22 CFB Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Neutral Corner, Feb 2, 2021.

1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Not sure how something can be the greatest sport while having a joke of a system to determine its champion, but maybe that’s just me.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Virginia is a squash school.

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

This whole FCS spring season is happening in a vacuum. Anyone who thinks it would be a good idea for these schools to permanently move to the spring because "they'll have it to themselves" is insane. The season is a zero on the sports radar.

4. tapintoamerica

Actually a bit of everything. Twenty-seven NCAA championships and counting in nine unique sports.
    But as to your question for real, basketball. A title there and the possibility for continued national relevance in the future. (Next year will suck.) Football's ceiling is a division title per decade. Kind of what they had in 2019.
    If Virginia suddenly becomes nationally relevant in football, something will be amiss. NCAA violations, questionable academic and/or character resumes, etc.

TigerVols likes this.
  5. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I’ve been surprised how little traction it has gotten in the spring. I thought it would have a little juice from hardcore football fans. Nope. Free agency and draft talk is all they need.

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Tournament is going on, baseball is about to start, Masters is coming up, then the NBA/NHL playoffs and horsies in May. There is no oxygen for it at all in the spring.

7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Through all the various spring football leagues, I am unaware of any who really made a dent. I suppose the USFL came closest, but it still only lasted three years and support outside of cities with a team was spotty at best.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
    maumann likes this.
  8. tapintoamerica

Hammer? Meet Nail.
    I have a visceral reaction to college football stories — Spring Practice Opens!!!! — during the NCAA basketball tournament. Can’t the damned sport take a few weeks off ?

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  9. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Remember in the Les Miles investigation report there was something of a throwaway reference to Derrious Guice sexually harrassing a 70 year old usher at Tiger Stadium? She's been identified and is in a USA Today featured story.

We get details of what happened, which was pretty bad, and she also says that Ogeron called and talked to her about it, then denied knowing about it later. Someone please post a link, I'm on my phone instead of my 'puter.

Yeah, I'm an old. Sue me.

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Not quite a zero. But the way the WWL is covering Jackson State, one would think they had another Walter Payton instead of merely Deion Sanders.

I'm glad HBCUs are getting some moments in the spring sun, but there are other schools. Like Grambling, FAMU, Bethune-Cookman, N.C. A&T, etc. ...

11. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

Yeah but Jackson State is the story. And through Jackson State, Alabama State got 3+ hours of free promotion for their football program on ESPN2 they would've have gotten otherwise. And the SWAC conference got shine and the game was a lot of fun to watch.

But yeah I thought there would be a little more happening for the FCS than what's happened. I am streaming Missouri Valley games each Saturday. but without those games getting time on ESPN2 or ESPNU it's not going to have a chance at moving the needle. And if they aren't going to put MVC (the FCS' version of the SEC) games on the networks, no one getting on before the playoffs other than Jackson State.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Not sure where to put this. Just a random football history question I'm hoping someone can answer.

If you watch old NFL and college football games from the 1970s, most of the receivers lined up in a three-point stance. By the mid-1980s, only a few years later when a lot of the same guys were in the league, they were all lined up in the modern stand-up receiver stance.
    How did this happen so quickly? Was the three-point stance either required or outlawed at some point? Can a wideout still line up that way if they want to?

It seems like a pretty major technique change to be almost universally adopted so quickly without some sort of impetus. Did everyone realize at once that the stand-up stance was better, or was there something else behind the change?

Draft saved Draft deleted