1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gambling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, Oct 18, 2013.

1. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I made a major mistake on Sunday. Major.

Enjoy watching the various lines and trying to get an advantage. Illinois-Loyola. Halfway through the first half. 21-14 Loyola. TV Timeout.

I see Book A at Illinois +120 and Book B at Loyola +129. Whoa.

I drop $500 onto Illinois as that's usually the slower book. It goes through immediately.

Then I can't get into the Book B. Shit. Spinning circle of death. Logged out as I'm betting -105. Shit. By the time I got in... it's now 30-17 and Loyola is NOT +129. Not they're -215. I can't bet that.

Shit shit shit. Illinois gotta make a run, right? I bought some Loyola back at -138 at halftime. (I should have bought ALL of it back and just taken the $70 loss).

Then I think... futures. Have those changes for Loyola? I'm pleasantly surprised to see... No. So I buy $200 of Loyola to win the whole thing at +2800. That's $5,600. Note: I don't expect them to win it. This is strictly to hedge. The Illinois run NEVER happens. Loyola never gets better than -200 the entire second half. I'm doomed. Out $500.

But I do have some hope (as junkies always do):

Oregon State wins. Loyola vs. Oregon State.

Today, I bought a $50 parlay:
    Oregon ML +200. W
    Gonzaga -6 -400. W
    Oregon State +260 Saturday
    Houston -280 Saturday
    This is +2100. So... $50 will net me about $1000.

I will sit back and watch Oregon State-Loyola. If Loyola wins, then my +2800 ticket goes up in value. If Oregon State wins (please!), then I'll hedge the crap out of Syracuse on free bets to get out of this unscathed.

All because Draft Kings wouldn't let me get in... usually, they're the easiest to live bet.

All because I lost my trademark discipline.

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I read this hearing Ray Liotta's voice as he was making the meatballs and watching the helicopters in that scene from Goodfellas.

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I was watching Abilene Christian yesterday ... they take a 12-8 lead on UCLA and they pan to a shot of some dumbass benchwarmer dabbing, as if that's still a thing. ACU then goes like eight-plus minutes without scoring and gets blown out. There was a correlation, I'm sure.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The key now seems to make them destination books, like the unreal Circa in Vegas with their two-story big screen. There, you can reserve a good seat for a fee or, if you're out there with a bunch of friends and really spreading the green around, you rent a booth with full bottle service and drop a small fortune. Because the best bets are increasingly on the apps in the state where all of you flew out of, so Vegas will separate you from your cash in another way.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

How rare is it to see plus-money live on both sides?

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

In my experience, extremely rare. Maybe that's why he got the spinning wheel of death. Maybe his app wasn't refreshed. Or, the app might have said Loyola plus, but they weren't letting that bet go through.

7. exmediahack

Rare. But I've seen it happen every so often during a TV timeout. That's when I caught this one... or so I thought.

In soccer, I've seen it on lower-level live betting totals between MGM and DK or MGM and WH. Very rare but I've seen 'em.

playthrough likes this.
  8. exmediahack

Thanks, Bucks -4. Had a great number and... poof.

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Hit eight parts of a nine-leg same-game parlay on Nugs-Raps last night. Of course I picked Denver to cover and they got their ass kicked, so that was the miss. But I'm killing it on low-risk player props right now.

exmediahack likes this.
  10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

How the fuck about that, the Oregon State ML hit again. TINKLE TRAIN.

12. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Poker was not listed in that tweet. And idea why?

Draft saved Draft deleted