1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Fantasy Baseball League

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by outofplace, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Fine with me.

2. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

3. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I'm in a dynasty league with a five-man minor league roster. Any player who's rookie eligible can be on it and players can be picked up or dropped through the normal waiver process. We say that a player must go through a draft cycle before he can be added, so the top pick of the June draft can't just be taken by whoever gets to him first.

We do our minors draft via email after the main draft. It's an auction and if someone wants to bid on a prospect during the main draft they may. That just sets their value higher for the next year. We do a unit system, so it costs one to move a guy up to the majors.

The player may be kept at no cost until he's no longer rookie eligible.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

We could so something like that, or we could just add three minor-league slots and three more rounds to the draft. That adds an element of strategy, having to figure out when you want to pick up prospects within the draft. I do like the part about a player having to go through a draft cycle before being selected.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I'm down with adding minor league slots, but if we're adding them to the draft, do those players count the same toward keepers? Seems pointless to draft minor leaguers if you have to keep them at the cost of major-league ready players. And part of the fun of the regular season is monitoring those players to pick them up before they get the call. If the top 30 prospects (or so) are already drafted, it'll take away some of the in-season play.

6. outofplace

Maybe we add one spot to the keeper list that is only for guys who are rookie-eligible. There are plenty of guys outside the top 30 prospects in baseball who could make an impact even this season and certainly in 2022.

7. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Next year we have three minors spot in the draft. Once you fill those spots, they stay filled until that player starts a season on the opening day roster. At that time their three-year clock starts ticking and they count against the last round for the first year as a MLer.

So if your ML stud gets called up in June, you have as an active MLer for 3 1/2 seasons. Or maybe we do four and 4 1/2?

Now, do you draft an A ball stud and wait or a lesser player in AA or AAA and hope?

8. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

10. outofplace

11. outofplace

Now it begins....and Ke'Bryan Hayes got me off to a nice start with a two-run home run in his first at-bat of the season. :)

12. outofplace

I know this may sound odd after the NA thing, but do we have too few bench spots? Just seeing what is going on with the Nationals and Mets makes me think we are still going to see too many of these disruptions with large numbers of players out of action.

I hate making in-season changes to the rules, but is keeping the benches this short a mistake with COVID issues still very much in play?

Draft saved Draft deleted