1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last movie you watched......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jenny Jobs, Dec 29, 2008.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Killing your heroes in a comic book is almost always temporary. And comic books come out often enough that it’s not traumatic like a movie. And who knows when they stop making it and leave you hanging

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It is interesting how often stories have explored the corruption of that character. They did it multiple times in the various Timmverse animated series and at least one major alternate timeline in the comics. In this case, I think Snyder just doesn't get the character.

I also don't think the story was going to end up in that timeline. I'm assuming there would be a time travel element avoiding things ending up that way.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

They keep exploring the corruption of the character because for 40-some years the character was supposed to be both invincible physically but also unquestionable in terms of personality.

So they thought they were being edgy and irreverent by powering him down and giving him character flaws. But of course they kept building and building on the character flaws, with each succeeding iconoclast driving the character deeper and deeper.

Problem is, WB/DC keeps giving heavy influence to people like Frank Miller, John Byrne and Snyder who just fucking do not get their central character -- they either use him as a straw man/ punching bag for other characters or just a vessel for infinite cynicism. He

Last edited: Mar 22, 2021
  4. outofplace

Is there really anybody reading this who doesn't know which character we are talking about? I feel like we aren't really hiding it well.

I don't know about Byrne, but that is absolutely a fair criticism of both Miller and Snyder.

SFIND likes this.
  5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Finally finished the 4 hours over 3 installments. It’s a significantly better movie than the originally released version. It’s definitely worth watching. I’ve seen Infinity Wars and Endgame probably 4 times each. Not sure I’d sit through this again, without being knowledgeable and looking for significant points I missed.

the Superman in this series is so strong and righteous that it’s difficult to conjure a story line that doesn’t take 15 minutes to resolve without de icing him from the equation for a long time. If Fury summonsed Capt Marvel in the first Avengers, there may have been no more movies.

6. outofplace

Ray Fisher Disputes WarnerMedia Exec’s Comments Regarding ‘Justice League’ Investigation

Speaking of the Snyder cut, Ray Fisher claimed that the edits made for the theatrical release were racially motivated. He also claimed that he was mistreated by Joss Whedon. WarnerMedia supposedly completed an investigation, but would not release any findings.

I'm not sure about all that, but there is no question that a huge difference between the two versions of Justice League is the role of Fisher's Cyborg, who has a much bigger part in the Snyder Cut. I've read reviews calling it his movie and that is hard to argue.

bigpern23 likes this.
  7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

This version certainly would have required a two-film theatrical release, a la Infinity War/End Game. It's not as good as those films, but it matched the scale of those films. It felt epic.

Lots of navel gazing and lots of characters jumping in from parts unknown to land onscreen, but a much, much better film than the Whedon version. Snyder was given permission to let the story and the characters breathe, and the film was better for it.

Cyborg's role was far, far better. He actually seemed like a part of the team, and we got to understand his character much better. For as outspoken as Fisher has been, I would prefer that he actually made an accusation beyond being treated badly. I'd like to understand what happened that he nuked his chance of returning as Cyborg because I actually came to like the character.

Best part? They fixed Cavill's fucking chin!

8. bigpern23

I haven't looked, but what was Snyder's reason for presenting it in a 4:3 format? I do think it would have been better at a more standard anamorphic widescreen or 16:9 aspect ratio.

9. bigpern23

Oh, one last thought: Like Cyborg, Steppenwolf was a much better villain in this version and the film benefited from actually having Darkseid play a part.

10. outofplace

Agreed. His look was still weird, but better. I know part of it was the run time, but it was still odd that even with him being more of the focus as the villain, he was still developed far less in the theatrical release. His fate was better, too.

bigpern23 likes this.
  11. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

Donnie Darko.

What am I missing? Don't understand why this became a cult classic. Do people identify with the mental health or adolescent problem elements?

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I've read/heard it has to do with presenting a version of the movie in IMAX ... which, due to the pandemic, seems pretty unlikely.

Draft saved Draft deleted