1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running MCU thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Scout, Dec 11, 2020.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

They did something similar with the first season of The Mandalorian, though that was in part driven by a need for content while the filming of scripted shows was on hold.

2. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Started watching the Netflix Marvel shows a few weeks back ... just started Iron Fist.
    After how great S1 & 2 of Daredevil has been, IF is just dreck.
    Luke Cage started strong but by the time Diamondback showed up, it lost its steam.
    Jessica Jones was actually the first one I watched a while back but only got thru 3 episodes before forgetting about it.
    But I am seriously debating on skipping Iron Fist.

3. outofplace

Debate no longer. Skip it. Iron Fist sucked.

Daredevil is great. Jessica Jones had a strong first season, but the second season felt aimless. Punisher is uneven but worth watching just for Bernthal's performance. I agree with you regarding Luke Cage. Defenders was mostly disappointing.

I still hope they bring those versions of Daredevil and The Punisher to the MCU. The rest are expendable.

spikechiquet likes this.
  4. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

OK... don’t go on this thread until you are ready to talk about the current episode.

5. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

The opening scene... chef’s kiss as the kids like to say.

Strong opening act. Nice to see that familiar villain.

Sam and Bucky have their personal problems and a nice window into the non-super life unfolds.

And it seems like Marvel is going the route of The Boys where the government’s heroes might not be the best heroes.

2muchcoffeeman and spikechiquet like this.
  6. outofplace

I'm going to duck back out of this thread until tomorrow night as I'm waiting to watch it with my daughter, but if you are referring to the character or characters I'm thinking of, they have been that way in the comics since well before The Boys.

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Excellent first episode. It was fun to see Sam doing superhero stuff on his own and not as an underling taking direction from Cap.

8. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

That action scene answered the question about the funding Disney+ will be putting into these shows.

2muchcoffeeman and bigpern23 like this.
  9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I’m going to take a deep dive into the first episode of Falcon & Winter Soldier on Monday after I watch it a couple more times, but first let me talk about one particular character.

The MCU has done something that Marvel Comics has never bothered doing. It’s made Georges Batroc — “Batroc the Leaper” into a legitimate villain.

Comic-book Batroc is comic relief at best. He’s definitely part of Steve Rogers’ rogues gallery, but not what I’d call an impressive part of it — more like the section of the rogues gallery that’s close enough to to the toilets that you can faintly smell the urine — and honestly he’s a bit of an ethnic stereotype.

I mean, I’m supposed to take this guy seriously?

upload_2021-3-21_0-0-47.jpeg

This guy? With the ridiculous paintbrush mustachios and the scarf?

upload_2021-3-20_23-58-47.jpeg

Hilariously, the Taskmaster was given dialog spoofing readers’ opinions of the character in Agent X in 2002. Marvel at least realized that the character was a clown.

As played by retired MMA fighter Georges St-Pierre, the MCU’s Batroc is a gritty, dangerous mercenary. Granted, they took the “Leaper” bit to an extreme with the wing suits, but it worked remarkably well as a counter to what Sam can do in the latest version of the EXO suit.

And kudos to the MCU for giving Batroc an appropriately Comics Code Authority-compliant last-second exit as his helicopter exploded. He’ll be back.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Seems like he would have been one of the people taken out by Scourge way back when.

11. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

I have no problem with it just like Thor gets a wicked sense of humor in the MCU.

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Ah yes, the Scourge of the Underworld … a sentient plot device that sprang fully formed from the fevered brow of a 1980s Marvel editor who was tired of dealing with all the laughable second-rate villains first dreamed up by Stan Lee.

Batman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted