1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pivoting to Substack

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JayFarrar, Dec 3, 2020.

1. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

I'm curious, have you incorporated as an LLC to protect yourself from liability? Are you planning on carrying any insurance, or you not going to write anything controversial? I'm not trying to be snarky but these are protections that you have when you work for a newspaper that you really don't think about. And I was just wondering if you had thought about them?

sgreenwell likes this.
  2. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Through my area's small biz development center, I got (FREE!) legal and accounting advice and will continue getting some as needed.

An LLC is in the plans, but I haven't flipped that switch yet. A sole proprietor gives me some flexibility an LLC doesn't.

Let me tell you a fun story about comingled funds and LLCs vs. SPs, but anyway, LLCs good but I'm not there yet, so an SP is better for me right now.

I could always catch a nuisance suit, but as the lawyerly type told me, that's not that big of a worry. A bigger issue is getting government entities to follow FOIA and what my step is when they don't. Luckily, I have a friend who works for RCFP, so if something really big blew up, there's some resources out there that could help.

Mngwa likes this.
  3. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

I think the suits are to blame, but have to check with Frederik.

sgreenwell likes this.
  4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

well, actually ... gotta go

5. cake in the rain

cake in the rain Active Member

I like Substack, but the people who are successful (i.e., well-read and profitable) could be successful on virtually any other similar platform. There's nothing magic about Substack.

6. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

At a news organization? No way.

Fdufta likes this.
  7. cake in the rain

cake in the rain Active Member

I guess I mean they could start their own blog, website, Medium, whatever. The people who attract their own audience are going to attract their own audience. The people who don't, aren't, no matter the format.

But, yes, Substack (for now) provides the freedom and infrastructure, but there's nothing inherent to Substack that couldn't be replicated.

8. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Doesn't Substack itself provide some legal journo advice, or is planning to?

9. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

New theory: Substack secretly paid a group of writers to make writing for Substack look lucrative.

10. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Theres no way that isn't true

11. JPsT

JPsT Member

It's not even a secret.

12. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

The talk around Substack has grown incredibly asinine the past week or so as numerous writers talk about how dangerous it apparently is to let certain writers -- who people pay to read -- have an outlet. Mostly because people got mad at Jesse Singal, Greenwald, Yglesias, Michael Tracey, Freddie deBoer, Taibbi, etc. The hunt to find out who was getting money in advance had numerous writers making outright false statements, like saying Singal and Greenwald were among them (they weren't and even if they had been...so what?). Instead of, uh, asking those people, as journalists might do, they just speculate. Calceterra had an especially ludicrous post about this today, not to mention just throwing around the term "transphobe" the same way he'd toss out someone's WAR.

cake in the rain likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted