1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2021 MBB coaching carousel thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Mar 15, 2021.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

We don't have one, today looks like a good day to start, lots of firings/hiring.

* Archie Miller out at Indiana.

* Dave Leitao out at DePaul.

* Earl Grant hired at Boston College. Charleston job now open.

* Penn State hires Purdue assistant Micah Shrewsberry.

* Indiana State hires Josh Schertz of Lincoln Memorial, a school I can honestly say I've never heard of.

* Murray Garvin fired at South Carolina State.

* D1 openings at Eastern Illinois, Denver, SUNY-Albany, Tennessee-Martin, Northern Illinois, that's what I've seen so far.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2021
  2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Did Texas-RGV hire a permanent replacement for the guy who died mid-season? That sounds terribly casual now that I read it, but I really don’t have many details at hand.

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Curious what Archie Miller does next. Not done coaching is my guess.

He was wanted in Raleigh not only because he is an alum, but because of his track record at Dayton. Miller wanted no part of it and, given how Herb Sendek - his coach in Raleigh - it was easy to see.

S.C. State might need to pump the brakes. The folks in Orangeburg has barely been able to keep the athletic program together strictly for financial reasons. Stacy Danley has been up against it during his three years there. The website coded it as "did not renew his contract." Without question, the W-L record (1-17) plays into it. Murray Garvin had been the head coach for the last nine seasons. Any chance he was lowballed on a potential renewal offer?

And another South Carolina school ... curious about Earl Grant and his going to Chestnut Hill. CofC didn't have a stellar season, and there are probably some sorts who still remember what John Kresse did for the school not too long ago. Having a hard time believing that BC just money-whipped him. Thinking CofC didn't see the next Kresse, combined with Grant's recent track record, and let him go to take another shot at the next Kresse.

maumann likes this.
  4. micropolitan guy

I wonder if someone takes a flyer on Gregg Marshall. Talk about high risk with a potentially high reward.

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Someone probably will. Marshall is an a_shole of the highest order, but given his track record at Winthrop and Wichita State, someone probably takes the chance. Sadly.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

IU moving quickly to satisfy unrealistic expectations.

Wenders likes this.
  7. micropolitan guy

Can't you do a blue font on tweets?

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I get that’s parody, but Donovan could actually be a realistic fit if he’s got some fire in the belly for college.

10. micropolitan guy

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

... where they were met by a priest, a rabbi and an minister walking into a bar ...

Wenders and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  12. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Which euphemism do you prefer for coaching executions?
    a) "Parted ways with"
    b) "Announced a change of leadership"

maumann likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted