1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What would we see that's "you" in your house?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by WriteThinking, Mar 3, 2021.

1. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

You're playing along, right?

2. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

It's good, if imperfect. Some of the teams I've seen don't even have their own website, let alone merch. I've watched teams from places like Palestine, Turkmenistan, North Korea, Mongolia, and the Solomon Islands but have thus far failed to acquire their scarves. Ticket stubs will have to serve as placeholders until I have the time and expendable income to fill in the gaps.

Micro- and coffin flats are unfortunately widespread here. Even if they don't start out that way, what often happens is the flat owner will (not always legally) subdivide the space to get twice as much money out of their "investment". They usually get away with it, too, as the local government needs land sales and revenue from housing projects to make its budget and thus is loath to do anything that might upset developers and property owners. I'm a gwailo who is compensated far beyond what he's worth, so while my place is far from spacious -- less than 300 square feet -- I am spared the worst Hong Kong's housing market has to offer. There's room enough for a treadmill and an Ikea twin bed, which is apparently considered king size by local standards.

3. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Outing alert: Goalmouth is Buffalo Bill.

OscarMadison and cyclingwriter2 like this.
  4. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

Those are some terrible games.
    Great Campaigns of the American Civil War (which is a series of games, not just one game) and Here I Stand are my two favs.

5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Stratego has soooo many good memories for me; even got kids to play with me.

Golf clubs all around and books. Dog toys everywhere.

garrow likes this.
  6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

One of most underrated shows ever. Loved it.

OscarMadison likes this.
  7. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

That is so interesting to hear about from someone who has seen/experienced any of it first-hand. It's hard to imagine, but for me, not out of the realm of possibility. I'm a pretty minimalist person, anyway, just by nature, and I and my family sometimes say we could see me living in the recent trendy thing here: a tiny house. But I don't know that I'd want it to be coffin-sized:). Maybe 400 square feet... (I've had an 810 square-foot place for a long time now).

8. WriteThinking

I have to admit, not intentionally...:)

9. WriteThinking

Well, someone besides us must like them! Classics, all:)...I've heard of Here I Stand, but not the Great Campaigns of the American Civil War one. It sounds good, though. Have you long had particular interest in that topic?

10. Justin_Rice

I grew up near Fredericksburg, so I've had a deep love of all things Civil War for basically forever.

Great Campaigns is operational level Civil War. So the game is more about the maneuver that leads to battles, and less about the battles themselves. Maps are generally made of hexes, with about one hex = 1.1 miles.

There are seven Eastern Theater games - Stonewall Jackson's Way, Stonewall in the Valley, Here Comes the Rebels, On To Richmond, Roads to Gettysburg, Stonewall's Last Battle, and Grant Takes Command, covering all the major action of the war in the East from Harrisburg, Pa., to Petersburg and the Valley to Fort Monroe, Va. And the maps - which are truly a work of art - can be linked together if somehow you wanted a massive playing area.

In the west, there's Battle Above the Clouds (Chickamauga and Chattanooga), which links to Atlanta is Ours (Sherman's campaign), and a new game covering Hood's 1864 campaign to Nashville is about to be in print.

The series was created by Joe Balkoski, a noted author (especially if you like books on D-Day). It's now led by Ed Beach (who is the Civ 6 lead designer for a day job), a good friend of mine. I do playtesting and development work on the games.

11. Justin_Rice

Also: "I've heard of Here I Stand" is one of the most surprising things I've ever read on this site.

12. Justin_Rice

Just a small chunk of a Great Campaigns map. I grew up in the top right of this picture, and I live now in the Fredericksburg hex. Telegraph Road (thick black road running North to South) is today's Route 1. Orange Turnpike headed west out of Fredericksburg is today's traffic nightmare known as Route 3.

upload_2021-3-5_12-52-57.png

Draft saved Draft deleted