1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will COVID-19 be the needle that finally bursts the sports bubble?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BitterYoungMatador2, Apr 2, 2020.

1. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

I tried to gather us as a family to watch the Super Bowl, and my 14-year-old son had zero interest in watching the game. Everyone did watch the halftime show, but he went back to XBox afterwards. My 16-year-old daughter did watch most of the second half, though.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

My son's fiancee is in advertising. She would come into the TV room to watch the commercials, then go back to her laptop when the game restarted.

3. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

In the world of small-college football here in the Northwest, a couple more schools are sitting out the shrinking spring season.

Montana Tech and Montana Western are the latest NAIA Frontier Conference teams to say "no thanks" to the short, four-game spring season:

Montana Tech, Montana Western opt out of 2021 spring football season

Southern Oregon opted out last week, so that leaves Carroll College, Rocky Mountain College, Montana Northern, College of Idaho and Eastern Oregon as schools still planning to play football. Games are (were?) scheduled to start March 20. If these five schools stay with it, they can all play each other for a four-game season.

I know Carroll College (where my son plays) started practice this week, as temperatures finally climbed out of the sub-zero range in Helena.

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Season can start as soon as March 5. Covers schools throughout the state except Clark County (Las Vegas) school district, which cancelled the season for its schools.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
  5. HanSenSE

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Be careful. No one is out of the woods yet.

Yes, numbers are better. But we're not there yet. Not by a long shot.

Liut likes this.
  8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

No, we're not. But there's also no reason why you can't have reasonably spread out fan attendance with precautions at outside venues at this point. The numbers do not dictate total shutdowns.

Liut likes this.
  9. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Agree with you and Sam both.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

People on here always talk about "the numbers." Like the spread of the virus isn't somewhat predictable, and instead it's all a matter of what some magical "numbers" reveal.

The virus needs hosts to keep spreading. It's acually not that difficult to understand.

1) Yes, outdoor settings provide more ventilation than indoor settings, so they are likely less conducive to spread. It's common sense.
    2) Yes, wearing masks puts a barrier in place that helps prevent spread.
    3) Yes, people putting distance between themself and the next person makes it harder for the virus to find hosts.
    4) Yes, immunity via prior infection or vaccination prevents at least the main variant of the virus from infecting someone.

Unfortunately, the bogies are:
    1) The variants, some of which seem to be more communicable or capable of creating greater viral load.
    2) And importantly. ... anytime people are near each other, there is the threat of spread because a) there are too many idiots who won't wear masks continually or will wear them improperly, b) we still have too many people who aren't immune via infection or vaccination yet, and c) people get lax about keeping distance from others.

The idea that there is no reason why we can't do X, Y and Z with property precautions is fine, but "the numbers," whatever that means, rely on people actually behaving in line with the precautions.

And if there is one thing this pandemic has taught us is that we are a nation of idiots.

11. HanSenSE

OK, California sports, time to get to work. All the seasons compressed into three months, starting now.

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

If you can get officials. My brother, an AD in SoCal, said only 60 of the 191 football officials in his area are committed to officiate games.

HanSenSE likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted