1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

One more thing: The Catholic schools around here were advertising around the opening of school bragging about how they would be open for full in-person learning. The tone was an unseemly one, as if public schools didn't care about the kids by being remote. Um, no.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Imo, the only real chance the US had to keep this under control was to shut down interstate travel very early. That was never even on the table and it was probably necessary

4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

They would have had to put in place *and enforce* rings around the infected sites that allowed no one (NO ONE) to leave. This country does not have the will or the discipline to make such a policy and enforce it.

God help us if a legit killer virus ever gets loose, because we'll die in droves.

5. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

Here, too. They saw it as a marketing/recruiting opportunity. “Hey, come to our school. They’ll have to learn from less qualified, sometimes uncredentialed teachers, who couldn’t get the good jobs, but at least they’ll be a-learnin!’”

6. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

lakefront likes this.
  7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The Biogen conference superspreader event here in late February 2020 was over and its participants scattered around the country and the world before anybody had an inkling that's what it was. So even if such a drastic measure had been imposed, it probably would've been too late.

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

My aunt began teaching at a start-up church school 3-4 years ago after retiring with her 30-plus years in the county system. Once last summer came and her headmaster started talking about opening up in person for August, she decided the double dip wasn’t worth it anymore and walked away for good.

9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

They tried that in New Rochelle and I’m not sure it worked as well as they’d hoped.

10. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

Making masks mandatory might have been the best way. We needed that leadership in the beginning.

I always site the comment in the beginning....We never imagined that we would have to convince people that the pandemic was real. I don't remember who said it but I do think it was the biggest obstacle. We needed trump to go all in on tackling this and he was not capable of handling that and he did not want to handle it.

OscarMadison likes this.
  11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I think it was your favorite modeler who looked at the IHME model and noted that if you simply used a naive prediction (i.e., this period's X will be equal to last period's X), you'd outperform the IHME's by some ungodly amount.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I was in a couple of stores today - the grocery store kept interrupting a song by Imagine Dragons with reminders of the mask policy - so all great there. Another place just had too many people (all masked), but no social distancing. I get kind of phobic about that stuff now automatically - don't want my 10-0 Covid test record to end in puddle of Miami Dolphins champagne bubbles.

Neutral Corner likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted