1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What would we see that's "you" in your house?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by WriteThinking, Mar 3, 2021.

1. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

That's a great way to commemorate travels! I can totally see the decorating problem with Hong Kong apartments. I read where a recent trend there is that people are renting out, literally, coffin- or shipboard-bunk-sized places because it's so crowded and expensive. I hope you're not that tightly packed.

2. WriteThinking

You and my second-oldest brother would get along well. He loves fishing, too!

3. WriteThinking

What a neat way to kind of remember "home." And I love looking at any art. There's so much, done by so many different artists, that my only lament is that you can never have everything you might want, just for lack of wall space. After a while, you really have to pick and choose, and go with smaller-sized things, etc., and that's really too bad. Not enough people appreciate art, by anybody. But it's one of those talents of which those who don't have it (like me) can be jealous if they don't enjoy it otherwise!

OscarMadison likes this.
  4. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

When we first shut down last March, and I was Zooming with students, one of them said, "Your house looks exactly how I imagined it would."

garrow and OscarMadison like this.
  5. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

I live alone in a studio apartment, so almost everything here is "me." What has attracted the most attention over the years is a framed collage of credentials on the kitchen wall.

I used to think it was a creative humblebrag... but I know at least a half dozen other folks here who created similar displays.

Wenders, garrow, Huggy and 1 other person like this.
  6. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

At my house? Books everywhere.

@Octave, try looking through alt-craft books from the 90s and oughts. You might not find an exact match for what you want to do, but you could get inspiration for a way to use your action figures.

Octave likes this.
  7. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Some cans, but mostly glassware, coasters, tin tackers, etc.

Sort of, but it's part of the job. I left sports writing to start a business publication that covers the craft beer industry (BrewerMag.com). I used to travel for my cover stories (now doing Zoom for now) so there is always a lot of "swag" thrown my way. My kid gets to play with a lot of branded things (he has a bandana from Melvin Brewing in Wyoming & a Boston Celtics/Jack's Abby sweatband along with Earnest Brew Works sunglasses to name a few) and probably knows way too much about beer for being 8. LOL
    But even before I started this gig back in 2013, I was collecting bottles and such, so about 20 years now. And my dad is a garage sale person, so he always finds me tap handles and things as well. I also homebrew and have a six-tap "keezer" (freezer converted into a kegerator) in the garage with loads of brewing equipment.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Wait - are you my son? Except his dad isn't a garage sale person

spikechiquet likes this.
  9. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

The scratched floors, wisps of dog and cat hair and, especially this time of year, the stable hay layer of dried grass tracked in from the yard might indicate that our pets are a fairly high priority.

The one fairly small TV shows that, despite spending most of our working hours on computers online, we are pretty much Luddites.

The odd collection of raised-bed garden beds and compost piles outside is evidence that I should probably be in a retired-hippy commune on the edge of the wilderness.

But the barn full of stuff we won’t throw away proves that we’re pretty anchored in the material world.

There’s also a shrine to books.
    A5F1A9F2-F8CC-46A5-AA14-0CAE67E1BD37.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
    lakefront, garrow, misterbc and 4 others like this.
  10. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Not great pics, but a few parts of the house that are "beer overload" LOL
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Autopsy table repurposed as coffee table in living room

Chainsaw collection hanging from dining room ceiling

Moth breeding station in den

12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Many years ago Huggy Jr took my stack of credentials from various hockey events and gleefully threw them in the air. The way they landed gave me the idea of putting them in a collage and framing it (so I didn't have to pick them up again). He helped me do it and it has been on the wall here in the man cave ever since. I could probably put another one together now.

garrow and OscarMadison like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted