1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

In Abbott's case, it's certainly a political move. He is still taking it in the shorts from the winter storm fiasco and needed to fade the heat by changing the subject and getting his base back on board.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  2. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

The worst part about the Texas decision is that the winter weather disaster essentially acted as a week of lockdown. And next week and the week after are spring break depending on the school district -- it's the absolute worst time to do this.

3. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

It is Johnson & Johnson.

4. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

And this is his defense.

[LOL spelling bee's are for pussys at 8 yrs old i was using my dad tools and building low rider bikes and in the play ground i was fighting by the tires and playing tackle football bloody noses and all u pussy were to scared lol and baking cup cakes lol im still building cool shit and i have a tool shed loaded with cool tools im build a 1963 C10 Truck now a hot rod and i have a boxing team lol and u guys are still baking cup cakes ]

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

"You cannot stop coronavirus, you can only hope to contain it." - Olberman, misquoted.

But I'll take control over the craziness and snake-oil solutions the previous guy was suggesting.

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

And if the past is prelude, from what we've seen out of Austin, they'll be damn stubborn about reinstating the mask mandate despite the inevitable overwhelming evidence it was a massive fail. See also the massive power snafu during the freeze.

But riblets!

7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Texas looking to Florida for guidance makes me bellylaugh.

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

People are going to be really disappointed when Texas does not fly out of control.

First, vaccines work and we have a lot of them. About 20% of Texas adults have had at least one shot so far. That number should double, easily, in the next month. That's not including the many who are immune from previous infections. It's not the same situation it was last September, it won't behave the same way it did then.

Businesses and local governments are still free to mandate masks, and many of them will. Private individuals are also free to choose to wear masks, and many of them will.

I don't think it was the right decision, but it's not going to be as bad as the kneejerk reaction. Our public health crisis has inherited a lot of red/blue baggage it didn't need.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

10. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

SFIND and swingline like this.
  11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I do have to check myself with constant reminders of “A piece of information isn’t necessarily wrong just because it makes assholes happy.”

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I'm not a scientist nor do I even pretend to play one on TV, but from everything I have read, COVID is much more akin to a cold-type virus than it is something to like smallpox or measles. IF we get to a best-case scenario where vaccinations take the worst cases of COVID down to the level a of severe cold with the occasional really severe one causing hospitalizations (like the flu does), then we're at a point where I don't believe society should be locked down and government should not be in the business of mandating restrictions. We won't have a severe virus causing widespread death and ICU stays anymore at that point.

That said, the success of masking in regards to this flu season has me thinking I'll wear masks inside stores, etc., in the winter going forward. Just makes too much sense. Also, if anything good will come of this, Americans will stop wearing it as a badge of courage to come to work when sick. We've worked from home for a year. Employers will have a lot more flexibility when an employee has a cold or the mild flu but doesn't want to infect the whole office. This obviously is different for the non-office set (retail workers, warehouse workers, etc., etc.), but man, I know I'll never go to the office again if I'm even the smallest bit sick. Not worth it.

And Rick's line about red/blue baggage is spot on.

Draft saved Draft deleted